Suggestions for good general purpose soldering station - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2002, 09:36 AM   #11
Jean is offline Jean  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jean
Default Weller WLC100 ?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=10671&DID=7

How good is this station ?
Old 19th July 2002, 09:54 AM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Suggestions for good general purpose soldering station

Quote:
Originally posted by ThingyNess
http://www.mainelectronics.com/solderstn.htm

This store is local to me and their prices seem excellent
I was just thinking about soldering irons and this is just across the pond. Thanx, but please quit reading my mind :^)

dave
Old 19th July 2002, 11:18 PM   #13
haldor is offline haldor  United States
diyAudio Member

I recommend the Hakko 936 soldering station. Fast heatup, good temperature regulation and good ergonomics for a decent price. I picked up mine a year ago for $100 from a local electronics dealer, but they can be had online now for around $80.

There are lots of different tips available, you can even plug in the Hakko 950 surface mount tweezer handset and have the ability to install/remove surface mount discretes and SO chips.

http://www.hammondelec.com/hako950.html

The 936 doesn't heat up quite as fast or deliver quite as much heat into large expanses of copper as the Metcal does, but the Metcal costs 4 times as much. I like the Hakko SM tweezers better than Metcal's SM tweezers also (I have Metcal at work, Hakko at home).

Phil
Old 21st July 2002, 02:22 AM   #14
Jean is offline Jean  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jean
I bought my first soldering station today, yay ! Its the weller wlc100 40 watt. It was $45 at Frys.

Now I need to find a $50 or less meter.
Old 22nd July 2002, 08:42 AM   #15
hifiZen is offline hifiZen  Canada
diyAudio Member

I highly recommend the Hakko 936 with 907 ESD-safe handpiece. As Haldor mentions, this is a really great iron, with a lot of useful features and a very reasonable price... 50W quick-heatup element for heating those large joints, fully adjustable electronic tip temperature control (<i>very</i> handy), a great iron stand and sponge setup, and a really nice selection of tips for different applications. Not to mention, the build quality of this Japanese-made brand is excellent. I also find it a very comfortable and easy iron to work with.

For many years I was exclusively a Weller user, and I now make extensive use of various Metcal irons at work, but I prefer my Hakko to all of these. Don't get me wrong - the Weller and Metcal units are quite good (although Weller does make some junky low-end products), but I feel that these two brands are overpriced for no other reason than their wide brand recognition and long standing reputations. Check out the Hakko... they're well priced and well designed.
Old 26th July 2002, 05:54 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Arrow Ersa Analog 60...

...works well for me, really good quality at a affordable price (about 110$)

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!