15DB female splitter for Z680 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2004, 10:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 15DB female splitter for Z680

Hi y'all.
I recently RMAed a set of my 680's due to hiss - to do so, I sent Logitech the control pod of my old set, and they sent me a new set.

So what I have now is one complete z680 set, and one set that is missing a control pod.

The Z680's have an integrated powered sub/amp into which everything plugs into - this can be seen in the crappy diagram picture I drew below.

What I'd like to do, is split the cable coming from the control pod, and plug it into both subs, effectively using the one control pod to control two sets.

However, I'm not sure if this is possible. I don't have a pinout of the 15db serial cable or any schematics from logitech. I think that if it's only a one way connection (ie, control pod just sending signal to the sub), it should be OK, but if there is feedback for some reason (sub sending signal to the control pod), it could be jacked up.

I haven't been able to find a 15db splitter cable, but I was thinking of soldering my own. Anyone have any ideas? Will this work?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th July 2004, 06:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think a SVGA monitor splitter will work, but all the one's I've seen are missing a pin on the male side - I think it's a monitor standard?

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...6&loc=101&sp=1
Old 12th July 2004, 03:18 PM   #3
Schaef is offline Schaef  United States
diyAudio Member

Why not just buy two DB15's that match the plug on the pod, and one that's the opposite. (Meaning, if the connector on the pod is female, two female DB15's and one male DB15) Then just wire straight through to the connectors? (Wire pin one of the singlce connector to the two pin ones on the output pair) That way you don't destroy any cables or connections, and you shouldn't have to worry too much about the connections themselves. This is assuming a one-way connection, and that the control pod can handle the new load. Not knowing exactly what the unit is and does, I can't answer better, but I would fathom a guess that the control pod does the D to A conversion and is sending analog audio to the speakers where the amps live.

One word of caution on the DB15 connector, make sure you get the correct kind. Monitor cable is DB15HD (High density) and has three rows whereas standard DB15 has two. Just a word of caution!
Old 9th August 2004, 10:30 PM   #4
radon0 is offline radon0  United States
diyAudio Member

solution!!

z-680 10.2 and 15.3 photos: http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4220285

splitter wire/extension website: http://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rblee/www/home.htm

neoforumz:
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/inde...hread&t=337344

Hide this!Advertise here!