black gate capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi-
I hope that I'm not beating a dead horse here, but I couldn't find the info I am looking for (sorry if it's already in a thread). I have a tough time buying the whole black gate cap "miracle," but I'm interested to see what's driving people to use them. Can someone direct me to a data sheet for the standard series (I assume most people use the standard series?)? Does anyone know what ESR is for 1000uF 50V? Also, I've seen several places on the net that sell them, but which distributors have people had good experiences with in the states? Thanks for your time,

Doovieman

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

What is price against good quality standard ones ?

What standard ones? Electrolytics?
Black gates, contrary to what most people seem to think, are not "typical" electrolytics even though they span the same range of values and voltages.
Prices are pretty high but well worth it...Let's hope they'll get cheaper as sales figures increase.

It's new device - whatabout reliability ?

New? Not really...They'd be inherently longer lasting than standard electrolytics as they do not have electrolyte inside of them.
Sonically they're on a par with the better filmcaps and just as reliable IME.

Cheers, ;)

fdegrove said:

Black gates, contrary to what most people seem to think, are not "typical" electrolytics even though they span the same range of values and voltages.

Hi Frank , This must be a joke.
One of the "technical" papers mentions graphite particles and in the same picture ion transfer.
In fact the added graphite particles are postulated as an improvement to the latter as this should have electron transfer. Well, well............:bigeyes:

Upupa Epops said:
Peter, it is like walking around hot pot - how much ?

Prices are here: http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/CapacitorsElectrolytic.html

fdegrove said:
Still, no matter what these are or how they work, fact is they're just fabulous caps. in all respects.
No questions about that, those are really good caps. But as with everything, proper system/parts matching is recommended. They come in different types and sometimes one type works better than the other.

Black Gates are certainly 'atypical' electrolytics in that
graphite is apparently the primary conducting medium even
though an electrolyte is necessary to 'wet' the foil
surfaces. They also are usually a partial bi-polar even in
the notionally polar parts. They claim lower distortion, noise and ESR, but:

They certainly don't conform to the usual standards with
data sheets and readily obvious data points. In fact,
their primary recommendation appears to be that they
'sound' different, and usually better.

I can't afford to use them liberally; I'm certainly not going
to pay over $100 for an individual part I can get for a few
dollars in a more conventional part, even if the BG part IS better.
I use them where I think they're best, when I can afford to
use them at all.

The nearest equivalent in industry are some types of organic
electrolytes and ceramic particles of some sort; no else uses
graphite as Black Gates do or any other conductive material.
There must be a reason, apart from copyrighted practice.
In short, they have a controversial reputation which they
probably deserve. It's the individual's choice whether or
not to use them.

And they appear to be going out of production, which will only
relegate them to the status of legend. In the end, no one's
going to be happy, but then life's like that a lot, eh?

Yes, I'm very frustrated by the "technical papers" that Black gate publishes. Their in such crappy resolution that you can't read the graphs! Does anyone have a graph of ESR v Frequency? I would really like to see some actual technical information. It's very weird that they don't readily publish such materials.

Doovieman

Blakgate Capacitors

Peter Daniel said:
Again, comparing to film caps they are rather cheap.

For instance 4.7u/50V type N is listed at $3.25 and I prefer them in coupling applications to Jensen copper foil which costs $78, go figure;)
I'm not gonna mention the size difference.
Now, gentlemen, it gets psychological.......

Never mind Peter, you save a lot of money and space with the Blackgates, I was never was impressed by........

:angel:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.