Satellite Radio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2004, 11:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Satellite Radio

I wanted to get satellite radio for home and car. I lease my car so i gues i can get a window antenna. But, for the home I was told that I have to have the antenna near a window facing south. i wanted to also use for the office. But, i do not sit near a window. i know they have 'boomboxes' to put your satellite tuner in. These boxes have speakers and antenna inside. Do I stillhave to have the boombox near a window to hear the radio or can it be OK in a regular office? Which is better XM or SIRIUS
Old 8th July 2004, 12:40 AM   #2
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Satellite

Don't know about the antennas, but I have listened to both Sirius and XM and was shocked at how awful Sirius sounded. Be careful to check this out before going with Sirius, make sure you are happy with the sound, I myself couldn't stand it for more than 10 minutes. XM sounded ok, not nearly as offensive.
Old 23rd August 2005, 08:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I just bought a new car with a Sirius reciever and a year free service. Sounds like well stirred ****. Imagine a $10 cassette recorder held up to a computer speaker playing a 32K MP3, then listen to the tape on a $10 Walkman. I'm most dissapointed. The programing is good (well, better than the commercials on broadcast FM), but the SQ is below par, way below par.

Is XM better? Does anyone have any technical specs on the system and bitrates of both?

Honestly, it sounds worse than a 64K MP3, maybe a little better than a 32K MP3, but not much. It's such a shame that corprate amaerica thinks we are all deaf with bad taste in music.
Old 23rd August 2005, 11:59 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I think you know better than to try and bypass the censor with your coarse language. Let's make this the last time alright?

Cal
Old 24th August 2005, 12:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have the boom box with the XM thing. I love it. Technically, the frequency only extends to 15.5K where it STOPS.

I plug the headphone jack into headunit while it's in the boom box. That goes to the Brian GT GC and off to the line arrays. Sounds very nice.
Old 24th August 2005, 02:32 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Bollocks, I should have said Merda.

Even rolled off at 15.5K? I know the factory speakers roll of a little early, but what I hear sounds worse than internet radio bitsteammed at 64K. It has that tin can echo and smeared hiss sounds instead of cymbals.
Old 24th August 2005, 03:51 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have sirius, and yes - at home it doen't sound all that great, but as a unit for my truck, driving on servicecalls through the canuck boonies north of wherever it is unbeatable. It beats no reception or highly compressed fm anytime, not to mention the lousy selection the few local stations play.

I have my antenne not facing any window, just try to find a position for exceptable signal strength anywhere in the room.
Old 25th August 2005, 03:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I have XM in the truck and Sirius in the home off of Dish. I am into smooth jazz and classical. Anyhow, I like the Sirius over XM programming hands down. IMO, Sirius has the radio type atmosphere while XM reminds me more of a CD jukebox. Sound quality, well I feed Sirius into a Fisher 400 receiver and really like that sound. XM sounds ok, but, between road noise and kids, canít get a real feel. However, I donít like the XM programming. XM really needs to get a real smooth jazz station. Just my opinion.

Regards,
ck
Old 1st September 2005, 10:13 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Check out this. I emailed asking what bitrate they broadcast because it sounds awfull. This is their reply

Dear Brian,

Thanks for your recent email. We appreciate the time you have taken to
contact SIRIUS in regards to our bitrate. Currently at this time our
system is using a 34 Kbs bitrate. We understand any inconvenience this
may cause. We are trying to accommodate listeners of all types. We
hope this information helps.

We are committed to providing you with the best in customer care. If
you have any more questions, please feel free to contact SIRIUS
Customer
Care. For your convenience, we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a
week at:

If you plan on listening to this rot on anything other than a background PA over the $4.00 5" speakers without the wizzer mounted in the ceiling, save your money.
Old 2nd September 2005, 03:44 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you plan on listening to this rot on anything other than a background PA over the $4.00 5" speakers without the wizzer mounted in the ceiling, save your money.
Hey, its a free market and your choice. Why are you getting so aggrevated?
Its better in my truck than anything that's available, I like the choice of programming, and I think I get good value for what they charge. I'm on the road 8 - 16hrs a day, and nothing can beat it.

Hide this!Advertise here!