Satellite Radio - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2006, 04:29 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

This thread is a year old or so:

Wondering if anyone has figured out a way to get decent quality from this equipment?? Does either XM or Sirius have channels with more bandwidth?? Anything better than the 33 Kbps happening??

Is this a case for local broadcast digital radio >> better sound?? Is the local "HD Radio" any better in reality?? Anyone know the bit rates / bandwidth for "HD Radio"??

Old 19th November 2006, 04:46 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Never mind, bad news = a rant

" ... HD Digital Radio supports CD-quality sound as well as song titles and artist names. And because the digital signal piggybacks onto a conventional broadcast signal, it is free to the listener. ..." ( From: http://www.hdradio.com/how_does_hd_d...radio_work.php )

This is a sad state of affairs ... a tremondously misleading and purely self engrandizing promotion of a worthless "new" technology: "CD-quality" is NOT better than regular broadcast FM ... Those few FM stations that take to trouble to broadcast vinyl start out with a better sound than "cd-quality".

Can you imaging radio station programming directors who actually care about the quality of their broadcasts falling for this ripoff??

I can see how a greedy board of directors might fall for it = digital radio of the "HD-quality" has to be very cheap to impliment ... its just a matter of getting the buying public to believe they are getting something "better" = "There's one born every minute .."

The only thing gained by this broadcast "standard" ("HD" digital radio) is that it overcomes the multiplexing problem of analog FM radio signals ... As long as these broadcast stations are doing a makeover of their signal quality, they should have made simple provisiions for something better than "cd-quality" ... How about 24 bit / 96K DVD-A or at least SACD or better? All FM broadcast media have the ability and the analog bandwidth to support 96k digital.

Old 20th November 2006, 03:46 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Default Bandwidth..

Is it me or is the 'quality' of sound actually taking a turn for the worse??? The audio quality of the simple telephone has degraded so far as to make conversations almost unintelligible...(Yes my hearing is OK)......Case in point was the quality of my old "brick" cellphones audio...it was very good...volume, audio spectrum & dynamic range...listening to the current crop of devices..they sound terrible. Perhaps since the size of the drivers are shrinking & the output power is being trimmed back....no wonder the ads say...."Can you hear me now?"
When they started development of the CD they gave it room to grow ...to improve quality in a purely statistical way. Not so with the current crop of audio devices...they are stepping backwards.
I believe the crux of this sad migration is the desire to free up more bandwidth. The FM band is relatively small but TV takes up a huge chunk of the available bandwidth... I recall the FCC said TV broadcasts will soon be a thing of the past as the bandwidth is to be reshuffled with new & terrible sounding stuff as more and more information is crowding into a fixed usable range of frequencies.
Old 20th November 2006, 04:25 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

" ... The audio quality of the simple telephone has degraded so far as to make conversations almost unintelligible (Yes my hearing is OK) ..."

You are absolutely correct: I'm about ready to drop kick my cell phone through Cingular's front window. Maybe that new Apple 'phone project will have a little better sound quality since the engineers are the same as for the iPod ... wishin' & a hope in' & crossing fingers.

" ... When they started development of the CD they gave it room to grow ...to improve quality in a purely statistical way. Not so with the current crop of audio devices...they are stepping backwards. ..."

You got this right too: sat. radio is total craipola. HD radio (looking at the specs) doesn't even come close to vinyl broadcast of old.

" ... recall the FCC said TV broadcasts will soon be a thing of the past as the bandwidth is to be reshuffled with new & terrible sounding stuff as more and more information is crowding into a fixed usable range of frequencies. ..."

I do notice that Internet radio has bandwidth potential that a very few "stations" take advantage of. When perusing the iTunes list of radio stations, Apple was good enough to include the bandwidth of each station available from their short lists. However when searching the web for alternates, one seldom sees the actual specs. Examples: Virgin Radio (UK) is 192k (supposedly), yet the links available here in the states are a pispoor 32k = ... Of course this assumes that a 'Net "station" that indicates 96k or 192k bandwidth is actually playing something better than 44k ... usually not =

Hide this!Advertise here!