RCA alternatives? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2004, 06:36 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default RCA alternatives?

I've always thought that the design of the RCA connector is not very good, and the general consensus is that they really aren't. So, my question is, what are the better/best alternatives? I've come up with either XLR or Speakons? Anybody have experience with either of those? The 4-pole Speakon would be really nice/convenient as a stereo interconnect...

--Ferdi
Old 25th June 2004, 07:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The XLR is of course the pro-audio standard, but if you want to keep to the standard pinout, then you'll need a seperate 3-pin XLR for the L and R channels.

Speakon for low-level audio? You are joking I hope!.

Why not use BNC as nearly all low-frequency test equipment uses? (The plugs are fiddly to wire up though).

At a higher spec, the screw-lock SMB gold plated co-ax connector is a superb design, and can be used all the way up to 10GHz if you really want an extended HF response.
Old 27th June 2004, 09:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ok, I think I am going to go with BNC's, probably by Canare. My question is, how will they compare to high-end RCA connectors, such as from Cardas? The Canare BNC's are way cheaper and I can't seem to find any Rhodium/Silver/Gold/Unobtanium/etc. BNC connectors... I don't want to end up with an inferior connection. And, I don't like XLR because the connectors are so long. Thanks.

--Ferdi
Old 27th June 2004, 10:00 PM   #4
johnf is offline johnf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The XLR is of course the pro-audio standard, but if you want to keep to the standard pinout, then you'll need a seperate 3-pin XLR for the L and R channels.
I seem to remember a five-pin XLR connector for stereo signals. I have only used the three-pin variety.
Old 28th June 2004, 12:07 AM   #5
jhead is offline jhead  United States
diyAudio Member

I believe the swiss made Limo's are of outstanding quailty Mark Levinson used them years ago but alas it would be quit a under taking to rewire a existing chassis and or system with them
Old 28th June 2004, 01:18 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jhead
I believe the swiss made Limo's are of outstanding quailty Mark Levinson used them years ago but alas it would be quit a under taking to rewire a existing chassis and or system with them
I believe Levinson used Fischer CAMACs, not Lemos.

Lemos are nice, but I've found I prefer the plastic shell Redels to the metal shell Lemos.

se
Old 28th June 2004, 07:00 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eddy
the plastic shell Redels
That is what Allen Wright recommends... i haven't tried them yet but will.

dave
Old 28th June 2004, 07:35 AM   #8
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

And where does one get a Redel?
i.e.Do the people you linked to sell to mortals w/o a company connection?
Old 28th June 2004, 07:57 AM   #9
johnf is offline johnf  Germany
diyAudio Member

For those who are interested, Audio Engineering Society standard AES14-1992 (r2004) gives pin outs for balanced and unbalanced two-channel circuits over 5-pin XLR connectors. Google will find it.
Old 28th June 2004, 02:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
That is what Allen Wright recommends... i haven't tried them yet but will.
Yeah? Didn't know that. About the only other person I've come across who uses them was dice45.

I first encountered them about 15 years ago when I had lunch with the area Lemo rep. He said "You might also want to consider these" in a Scottish accent that reminded me of Sean Connrey and whipped out this little plastic plug and socket from his sample case.

At the time I was still smitten with the sexiness of the metal shells of the Lemos so when I got home I just tossed it into my sample box and there it sat for a number of years.

Years later when I was sifting through the sample box throwing out a bunch of stuff I knew I'd never use, I came across that Redel connector he'd given me. My love affair with sexy metal shell connectors was waning so I decided to give them a try.

Been using them ever since.

se

Hide this!Advertise here!