RCA alternatives?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've always thought that the design of the RCA connector is not very good, and the general consensus is that they really aren't. So, my question is, what are the better/best alternatives? I've come up with either XLR or Speakons? Anybody have experience with either of those? The 4-pole Speakon would be really nice/convenient as a stereo interconnect...

--Ferdi

The XLR is of course the pro-audio standard, but if you want to keep to the standard pinout, then you'll need a seperate 3-pin XLR for the L and R channels.

Speakon for low-level audio? You are joking I hope!.

Why not use BNC as nearly all low-frequency test equipment uses? (The plugs are fiddly to wire up though).

At a higher spec, the screw-lock SMB gold plated co-ax connector is a superb design, and can be used all the way up to 10GHz if you really want an extended HF response. ;)

Ok, I think I am going to go with BNC's, probably by Canare. My question is, how will they compare to high-end RCA connectors, such as from Cardas? The Canare BNC's are way cheaper and I can't seem to find any Rhodium/Silver/Gold/Unobtanium:)/etc. BNC connectors... I don't want to end up with an inferior connection. And, I don't like XLR because the connectors are so long. Thanks.

--Ferdi

planet10 said:
That is what Allen Wright recommends... i haven't tried them yet but will.

Yeah? Didn't know that. About the only other person I've come across who uses them was dice45.

I first encountered them about 15 years ago when I had lunch with the area Lemo rep. He said "You might also want to consider these" in a Scottish accent that reminded me of Sean Connrey and whipped out this little plastic plug and socket from his sample case.

At the time I was still smitten with the sexiness of the metal shells of the Lemos so when I got home I just tossed it into my sample box and there it sat for a number of years.

Years later when I was sifting through the sample box throwing out a bunch of stuff I knew I'd never use, I came across that Redel connector he'd given me. My love affair with sexy metal shell connectors was waning so I decided to give them a try.

Been using them ever since.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.