Linear Vbe-IC transistor favorites?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.
I vould like to know if anyone has a particular favorite transistor for an application i am considering.
I am doing current mirrors and have the intuitive idea that Vbe vs IC linearity is the most critical part, if it is linear in a region i can adjust the emitter resistors to acheive more gain and thus adjust for base currents, which also look more like a resistive load when the Vbe Ic caracteristic is linear.

The basic requirements are:
Not impossible to get a hold of.
PNP devices primarely.
IC linear region +-1.2mA
Max current small signal transistor <200mA
High beta (if possible)
Spice models available.

Are the 2SA1455k (ROHM i think) any good and are there any spice models of them.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think you mean logarithmic Vbe vs Ic, right?

The "ideal" transistor's collector current is given by

Ic = Is*e^(Vbe/VT)

where VT = kT/q, the thermal voltage, about 26 mV at room temp, and Is a scaling constant that depends on the emitter area.

Anyway, even in an ideal transistor, this is pretty far from linear.

On the other hand, in the ideal transistor,

Gm = d(Ic)/d(Vbe) = Ic/VT

Which is a linear relationship.

Or maybe you mean Ib vs Ic linearity, or constancy of beta vs Ic?

In that case, I'd probably just look for a high beta transsitor to minimize the beta nonlinearity, or use a beta-immune current mirror topology.

Or maybe the question is, how does one make the most linear current mirror. Which is probably open to all sorts of debate.

-- mirlo

Thanks,

I was trying to avoid the physics of the transistor but it comes up and bites you whenever you try.

The thing i am searching for is as you say the gm.
The gmneeds to be constant or as slow moving as possible over at least the +-1.2 mA delta ic.

I suppose linear current mirrors is the thing i am searching for but my gut feeling tells me that the requirements on the transistors differ depending on type of current mirror you use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.