Blanced stereo step attenuator ladder type question!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Balanced stereo step attenuator ladder type question!

How do I figure out which values of resistors to use in a balanced stereo step attenuator. One friend gave me two very nice ITT 4-pole switches, and I'm planning to use it for my Aleph P 1.7 project.
I found few scripts on the internet that are calculating ladder type configuration for unbalanced mode. But I would like to use both, balanced and unbalaced. So I need 8 decks. Can I use same value of resistors for both + and - balanced, as I use for unbalanced?
So, lets say I want 39dB attenuation. For unbalanced ladder I have to use 99878 ohms for the input (Rx) and 708 ohms for the ground (Ry). Can I use same value of resistors for input of + and - balanced and just use the same ground resistor?

Attachments

• resize of att 001.jpg
    resize of att 001.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 470
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Note that doing this kind of balanced volume control changes the calculation for the resistances you need to get a given attenuation.

Here's a standard dB step sequence as used in the Goldpoint controls.
http://www.goldpt.com/taper.gif
Here's my calculation, with disclaimer that I haven't doublechecked it:
Let each series resistor be S ohms and shunt resistors be H ohms.
Output voltage is input voltage times H/(H+2*S).
In dB, attenuation A=20*log_10(H/(H+2*S)).
Solving for H, for a given attenuation the shunt resistor H=(-2*S*10^(A/20))/(10^(A/20)-1), where '^' indicates exponentiation.
If there are any other resistances in series or parallel with this circuit they need to be considered in the calculation.
To get 0 dB H is infinite, i.e. no resistor; a short of 0 ohms for H will not completely eliminate sound because it's unlikely the non-inverted and inverted lines are exactly identical.

Thanks for your comments guys. I'm starting to understand it. But I want to make it for balanced and unbalanced mode. Can I just use this schematics for my attenuator? Left side for the unbalanced, + and - balanced, and right side for the ground as it says on the pic.

Attachments

• sch_ml4.gif
    sch_ml4.gif
    33.9 KB · Views: 471
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Whether you are using balanced or unbalanced output, as long as the input to the volume control is always balanced (which will be the case if you put the volume control in your balanced source), then the in-between resistor method suggested above is best.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Prune said:
Note that doing this kind of balanced volume control changes the calculation for the resistances you need to get a given attenuation.

Here's a standard dB step sequence as used in the Goldpoint controls.
http://www.goldpt.com/taper.gif
Here's my calculation, with disclaimer that I haven't doublechecked it:
Let each series resistor be S ohms and shunt resistors be H ohms.
Output voltage is input voltage times H/(H+2*S).
In dB, attenuation A=20*log_10(H/(H+2*S)).
Solving for H, for a given attenuation the shunt resistor H=(-2*S*10^(A/20))/(10^(A/20)-1), where '^' indicates exponentiation.
If there are any other resistances in series or parallel with this circuit they need to be considered in the calculation.
To get 0 dB H is infinite, i.e. no resistor; a short of 0 ohms for H will not completely eliminate sound because it's unlikely the non-inverted and inverted lines are exactly identical.

I agree. You can use any 'normal' unbalanced calculation if you realise that at the end you have to split the series resistor in two equal parts of half the calculated value for each leg.

Edit: removed cm nonsense

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.