DIY 40 step attenuator, anyone interested in such???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How many would be interested in a description of how to make a 40 step attenuator?

To make such a description would take loads of time, so please take into account before answering that you will need at least a lathe and a drill press...and naturally some experience with both.

I have estimated the price for a DIY "no expense saved" 40 step attenuator to be around 100 USD for one layer, plus around 30 USD per layer of switches.

I have recently aquired a digicam, but need a place to have the pics hosted....a must to post pics of adequate resolution for showing something like that I guess.

Magura:)

officeboy said:
You could always attach some pictures to your posts.
You load them on that way right off your harddrive.

agent.5 said:
Which rotary switch do you use?

This board will not accept bigger images than 100kb, thats not enough to explain something like that.

As Analog_sa pointed out, this would be a guide to make the whole thing...most important the rotary switch itself.

As stated in the first post, this thread was made to see if anyone would be interested in actually making such, and being capable of actually doing it too, since it would be a lot of work to make such a guide...too much to make it just for the sake of it being interesting reading.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Magura said:

This board will not accept bigger images than 100kb, thats not enough to explain something like that.

As Analog_sa pointed out, this would be a guide to make the whole thing...most important the rotary switch itself.

As stated in the first post, this thread was made to see if anyone would be interested in actually making such, and being capable of actually doing it too, since it would be a lot of work to make such a guide...too much to make it just for the sake of it being interesting reading.

I can provide you webspace in my gallery, where you can upload them yourself and add captions to the pictures.

Drop me an e-mail if you are interested. Look at my site for the gallery format.

--
Brian

Magura said:
To make such a description would take loads of time, so please take into account before answering that you will need at least a lathe and a drill press...and naturally some experience with both.

I have estimated the price for a DIY "no expense saved" 40 step attenuator to be around 100 USD for one layer, plus around 30 USD per layer of switches.

fdegrove said:
Hi,

It may be a good idea to start with a list of required equipment to make such a switch?

Cheers,;)

I finally got my first digi cam this friday, so a couple of pics is now an option.

The first part to be made is the die for cold forging the silver contact pins. The first photo is the die closed, the second is the die opened and the ejector pin laying next to.

The die is to be used in a press, or in the lack of such in a vise.

Attachments

• closed.jpg
    closed.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 462
Magura, I knew you had potential to do great things. I highly doubt that I would make such a fine thing, but I would greatly enjoy reading how you make one. Maybe enough other people would enjoy your tutorial enough that you may decide to do it for the glory? If you don't make a full blown tutorial on the subject, please post some pics of your work.

My uncle owned a small machine shop. I often wished he wasn't retired. I'd be his best nephew.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Magura said:
Hmm, I guess the interst in actually building a rotary switch is not there, so Ill do as Brian Donaldson proposed and make a picture thread showing the progress of the project as it happens.

BrianGT have been so generous to set me up with a gallery entry on a NICE server, Ill post better pics there.

www.briangt.com/gallery/magura

Thanks for sharing your work with the forum. I am quite interested in your ideas and design.

--
Brian

Magura said:
Hmm, I guess the interst in actually building a rotary switch is not there,

How did you figure that interest is not there? I, for one, am very curious with what you will come up with.

I think not too many people has much experience with building such thing, so they just await your pics.

From my experience, I don't think you need anything more than 800x600 to show any detail.

Peter Daniel said:

How did you figure that interest is not there? I, for one, am very curious with what you will come up with.

As far as im concerned there are a handfull of people on DIYaudio that are actually able to make such a thing, and none of those people have shown any interest :)

Im sure lots of people are curious what this is, but the interest in actually making one seems to be rather limited...thats what I meant with it, not that Im not going to make one, cause I sure will as I need a few.

As I wrote in an earlier post, the reason for asking if anybody is isnterested in actually making a switch, is that it will take a LOT of work to make drawings that are any good to anybody but myself. No reason to make such if nobody is going to actually have any need for such. Then a pic thread is less work and just as good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.