Op-Amp Self Destruction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been told that some op-amps (specifically the NE5534/2) will self-destruct if placed in a unity gain configuration with a short between the out and -in, and that they need a resistor around 5-10k in the loop. Is this true? It doesn't sound true but I just wanted to check before I go burning up a bunch of op-amps.

I've been told that some op-amps (specifically the NE5534/2) will self-destruct if placed in a unity gain configuration with a short between the out and -in, and that they need a resistor around 5-10k in the loop. Is this true? It doesn't sound true but I just wanted to check before I go burning up a bunch of op-amps.

yes, i think it's true. i'd say because when the signal comes out, it feeds back to the input where it started, only it's amplified, and this amplifies more, and feedsback again, more and more, until it eventually causes self destruction in the op amp. yes, i'm pretty sure it is true. the resistor is there to drop the signal down enough so it doesn't present an oscilation problem.
I know it probably seems like it would clip, and limit from overloading, but as it amplifies more and more, all the wave peaks would be flattened out to straight DC... which i think you might find is bad to put on the input for your device.

cheers

benny said:

yes, i think it's true. i'd say because when the signal comes out, it feeds back to the input where it started, only it's amplified, and this amplifies more, and feedsback again, more and more, until it eventually causes self destruction in the op amp. yes, i'm pretty sure it is true. the resistor is there to drop the signal down enough so it doesn't present an oscilation problem.
I know it probably seems like it would clip, and limit from overloading, but as it amplifies more and more, all the wave peaks would be flattened out to straight DC... which i think you might find is bad to put on the input for your device.

cheers

Sorry but simply not true, and the resistor will have miminal effect,
its only included to match the other inputs effective impedance.

What is important is the op-amp is unity gain stable, some are not.

:) sreten.

benny said:
because when the signal comes out, it feeds back to the input where it started, only it's amplified, and this amplifies more, and feedsback again, more and more, until it eventually causes self destruction in the op amp.

We are talking about a unity gain configuration here - where the input is fed to +in and output is tied to -in, not shorting signal output and signal input.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.