PSU ? : Build or Buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, so I need to come up with a 12V@7A PSU to run 120mm fans, cold cathode lighting, IR/RF remotes, and other non Audio 12V items. This will be for projectors similar to what some members are doing in the Video forum. So heat is a concern, consequently I think I want to use a switching mode power supply. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm no expert, barely even a novice lol.

My question is this:

Will I be able to build one cheaper than I can buy one surplus from a place like AllElectronics.com ? I can get 12V@7A from them for around 10 bucks. Is it worth my time to build it cheaper, since the quality of the power isn't as crucial as it is for, say, an Amp? Can I actually build it cheaper? I haven't seemed to find transformers very cheap anywhere. But of course I'm fairly new at all this, and even the paper copies of Mouser, Digikey, and Allied catalogs I have are quite a task to go through for me.

Any advice is appreciated.

Faithblinded

for $10 at 7A you would be alot better of just buying the thing as direct coupled switchmode is rather dangerous and best avoided if you can. The other option is to pick an old, cheep computer PSU as you can quite aesily trick these into turning on without being in a computer and they can normaly kick out quite a bit of 12V current.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.