scratchy volume pot - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2004, 07:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default scratchy volume pot

i recently bought an older power amplifier (alesis ra100) for spare parts since it was advertised with a broken left input, but upon testing , i fould that all inputs and outputs work fine - the casing has apparent trama from being dropped (on its left side) but everything else is perfect and intact.

the only problem that i found was a scratchy volume pot on the left side only when turing the volume up or down, but when static, the signal is clean. I tried spraying the pot out with an electronics cleaner to see if that would help but didn't have any effect.

does anyone else have any solutions to get rid of the scratchiness with out replacing the original pot?

thanks
Old 1st June 2004, 08:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jan Dupont
Hi,
Try using WD40 from your local hardware store...
I got this advise from Rob Flain from QUAD in England several years ago, and all the npots I have tried it on (even pots in 20 years old QUAD's hasn't given a single "scratch" after one cure 3 years ago....
Old 2nd June 2004, 04:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

thanks ACD - i will give it a try!
Old 2nd June 2004, 04:40 AM   #4
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
I have tried the WD40 trick but mine gets the scratchy thing back in about a few months. is there a special way to do it?
Old 2nd June 2004, 06:55 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I use it as I would use normal Contact Spray, so no special trick there........ Try using Contact Spray first, and then add WD40.
Old 2nd June 2004, 08:21 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Even though I have used WD40 by myself for that purpose there are people saying that it does more bad than good.

Another thing to watch out for:
Pots can not only scratch when dirty, the same thing can also happen when DC current is flowing via the wiper. This is often caused by either DC-coupled circuits with too much offset voltage or leaking (electrolytic-) coupling caps.

Regards

Charles
Old 2nd June 2004, 02:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

in that case wouldn't the scratchyness be found on both channel volumes being they are hooked up to the same transformer? I am pretty sure I have isolated the problem to the pot itself.

i've already tried to use some contact cleaner but that ddin't seem to work completely - it helped alittle though. so is wd40 a go or no? i don't want to kill the thing, i don't know if i can a matching pot being they are out of production now and i couldn't find any labeling on it

i suppose i could always just write to alesis and see if they could hook me up if i can't get the scratchyness, even though it desn't affect play when i am not activley changing the volume

thanks for the help and replies!
Old 2nd June 2004, 05:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

As earlier mentioned, I have used WD40 on >20 year old special made QUAD pots with perfect results...
I do not belives in miracles, however this saved my butt in case
Old 2nd June 2004, 05:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

GT 85 is better than WD 40 in this case,
WD40 is a little thinner and the particals do not get swipped out the way that well, GT 85 is a thicker formula and will really scoop the dirt in your pot side ways! I promise,
Old 3rd June 2004, 05:20 AM   #10
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
what about putting some sewing machine oil after spraying with WD40?

Hide this!Advertise here!