8 ohm dummy load

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Sy and pinkmouse, if I remember correctly from another site , a user was recommened to use hot water tank heating elements. But I don't remember exactly how it was described. I think it was a 115 volt 1500 watt 10 ohm element (standard) wired +/- and mostly dipped into abucket of water to dissapate heat.
Have you heard of this before? Does this sound like it would be applicable? Or is this apparatus used for another purpose. I have no idea. Ideas?

Sorry prairie mystic I didn't see you post there!:(

Last edited:
I like the way the parts express ones already have wires attached with ring connectors for direct connection to amp binding posts. And their price is competitive with the DIY solutions once you add in the cost of binding posts, wire, heatsinks, and other connections.

I just measured the resistance of my 120v 500w halogen torchiere lamp, and it measured 2.4 ohms cold. If you happen to have some of these around your house they might fit the bill wired in series. My 1000W coffee maker measures 14 ohms cold. No need to buy any more equipment, although it's possible their resistance might drop too low as they get hot.

Last edited:
I like the way the parts express ones already have wires attached with ring connectors for direct connection to amp binding posts. And their price is competitive with the DIY solutions once you add in the cost of binding posts, wire, heatsinks, and other connections.

I just measured the resistance of my 120v 500w halogen torchiere lamp, and it measured 2.4 ohms cold. If you happen to have some of these around your house they might fit the bill wired in series. My 1000W coffee maker measures 14 ohms cold. No need to buy any more equipment, although it's possible their resistance might drop too low as they get hot.

If the resistance dropped when they get hot they would explode. The resistance goes up, not down when it heats up. Look at the 500 Watt lamp you mentioned. 2.4 ohms at 120 Volts would be 50 amps - 6 KW.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.