repair the Tektronix 2213 oscilloscope,service manual?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently bought a Tektronix 2213 oscilloscope(used) in a good price.It can work,but...I just found it has 3 troubles:bawling: :bawling: :

1.when input of ch1/ch2 set to ground,the trigger indication LED lights,and the basic-line is not a pure line,just a discontinuous line,displaying a singals.Inputing a 1KHZ signals,it displays a 1KHZ signals and an approx 10KHZ sigals!

2.set the sweep speed switch at top 5 speeds position,the intensity is weak.at other positions,the intensity is good.

3.when set the VOLTS/div variable controls of CH2 at 5mv/div or 2mv/div,the basic-line disappears.

I need a Service manual to repair it.

who can share me it's service manual?

Any suggestions for repair?

thanks a lot.

X.G.

Go to Tek's web site.

My Tek scope also broke down.
I was asked to go to the Tek web site and search for the service manual. I had to register on line ( easy ) and could down load the full service manual at no charge. I guess your's will also be available. Keep your serial number handy . I can't remember if that was required.
Cheers.
Ashok.

Thanks,ashok.I will try it,maybe .

Thanks EC8010.I had searched your the link,but found that the manuals all for sale:bawling: .

Cause lack of the service manual,I spent much time to trace the circuit of 2213.I had spent a week of amateurish time for repair the 2213 scope:dead: ,include checking,reading books of scope basic-theory,reading the tek465 scope manual.

I got the tek465 service manual ,according to the direct of my forum posts(Thanks,DIYaudio!). The 465 muanual has 291 pages,not in my mother language :bawling: :bawling: .

After a week of hard work :bawling:,I just see that the big trouble(the first and the second in my last post.and corret: It displays approx 100Hz,not 10KHZ) source is from blanking/unblanking circuit :cool: . I had spent 3 days to check vertical amp :( .

The CA3127E of the CH2 input amp IC dead naturaly,after re-soldering the power supply (my first repiar):bawling: .I will have some difficutly to buy it.The price of CA3127E is 10 percent of my scope (the 2213 scope has 5 CA3127E's) :mad:

I found the polarity of the blanking signals aren't correct yesterday.I will trace the blanking sigals,and waiting for the CA3127E from my Chinese friend on remote region:xeye:.

Now,I have much knowledges of scope than before ;)

Got the manual.

X.G. ,
I downloaded the TDS2000 series service manual for you . It's a 2.1 Mb PDF file. Want me to email it to you?
If not we should ask someone on the forum to provide some space on their server where I can up load it and you can download it from there.
Let me know what I should do.
Cheers,
Ashok.

I just get two news,one is happy,another is sad.

The happy news is that I just receive the email and the service manual of TDS2000 from Ashok:wave2:.

Thanks for your help,Ashok.

The sad news is that : after checking repeat tonight,I get the answer in my mind------ the trouble of my 2213 scope is from the CRT,in the other words,the CRT is too OLD :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: ,it cannot stop displaying at the blanking period,that means my scope is 'GAME OVER' :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: .

In the meaning,I lost the monkey and will lost the 2213 scope soon:dead: .But I have got more the scope knowledge;).

BTW:I download the TEK2465 service manual from here:http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/tektronix/

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
No. X.G. I think you are wrong. I don't believe the CRT is faulty. Come to that, I'm not convinced that the fault is in the unblanking circuit. I would suspect that fault #1 is in the circuit that chops or alternates between the two channels to give two traces.

Fault #2 may not actually be a fault, but poor triggering.

Fault #3 is DC balance in the input amplifier.

Ashok: The TDS2000 series is a rather naff digital 'scope, whereas the 2213 etc is an analogue 'scope.

EC8010 said:
No. X.G. I think you are wrong. I don't believe the CRT is faulty. Come to that, I'm not convinced that the fault is in the unblanking circuit. I would suspect that fault #1 is in the circuit that chops or alternates between the two channels to give two traces.

The scope made in 1981,and according to my repair TV experiences,the old CRT usually have the type of bad cut-off funtion.But I would rather believe in you,EC8010. I will re-check the CRT circuit ,and if the CRT work in correct state.

BTW: the blanking signals is correct, I test wrong yesterday.

EC8010 said:
Fault #2 may not actually be a fault, but poor triggering.

My repair tell me not that.After adjusting the GRID BIAS trimmer,the scope can display.

EC8010 said:
Fault #3 is DC balance in the input amplifier.

YES!!!I agree with you.But the IC of the input amp blew...:bawling:

Thanks your advice
X.G.

Not TDS !!

Hi EC8010 ,
I goofed there. I looked for 2213 on the Tektronix home page. I couldn't find it. So I assumed it was the TDS. But I confess I was confused when XG mentioned about the screen which indicated that it was not an LCD type.

X.G. , the manual is not on Tek's homepage but you can probably ask for it by email.
It is also available elsewhere for a price.
http://www.aa4df.com/2213both.htm
It's US$20/- for access on an FTP site.

Sorry for the confusion.
Cheers.
Ashok.

DRC & Ashok,
Thanks for your informantion.I think I have no way to buy the manual from foreign website, the price and shipping fee is too expensive to me:smash: .Sorry,all.

EC8010,
Thanks for your advice again.My friend which have more experieces on very old TV CRT tell me that the old CRT usually have bad focus funtion first,and then have bad blanking funtion too after a period.My CRT still have a good focus :cool: .

Encouraging by EC8010 & my friend,I will continous to repair.I will mainly check the CRT grid-cathode ciruit which Tektronix name it 'DC restorer circuit'.Cause the circuit mostly is floating on -2450V:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: ,I have some difficult.

BTW:the trigger indication LED lights correctly after the CA3127E blew:confused: .

X.G.

I just slove the bad blanking problem referercing to the tektronix 465B scope service manual tonight:cool: :cool: .

The source of this big trouble is from the C865,0.02UF /maybe 3000V, which coulpe to the CRT grid in the DC retorer circuit.This cap in the tektronix 465B scope is C4118.The pin of C865 had disconnected:smash: !!! After I connected the pin,the big trouble gone.

I will repair the CH2 input amp in next step.I am waiting for the CA3127E:bawling: :dead: :hot:

I just get a new idea to repair the CH2 input amp in the DIY ;)method.

In the contents of the CA3127 datasheet:
http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn662.pdf

'The CA3127 consists of five general purpose silicon NPN transisters on a common monilithic substrate'.

I checked The blew CA3127 just have 2 broken NPN transisters,the other internal NPN transister still good.I think I can exchange the two bad internal transisters for two UHF transister which easily get.Considering that The blew CA3127 is on the front-end of the CH2 amp and the CH2 amp is a DC amp,I want to de-solder the CA3127 in the sweep generarter/X-axis circuit,then solder it in the the CH2 amp,the repaird CA3127 in the sweep generarter/X-axis circuit.

any suggestion?

thanks a lot.

X.G.

Don't mess with that.

X.G.
The CA3127E seems to be quite cheap . About AU$3.70 or so. I can get you a couple from there and snail mail it to you .
It will be quite easy.
Shall I do that ? Dont mess with the scope the way you were planning. Do you still need the service manual ? We might be able to find a pdf copy somewhere .
Cheers,
Ashok.

Ashok,it is very kind of you!
Thanks again.

Yes,the CA3127E is cheap,but is a bit expensive to me.I bouht the scope in good price,just USD $50 ;) ,but CA3127E maybe USD $5:dead: .I wish not to disturb you because of it,I have asked for my friend in China.

Yes too,I still need the service manual to calibrate / trace the circuit because of the CH2 amp problem:bawling: . If you got it easily,pls go foward and send it to my mailbox,will be appreciated.If you have difficult to get,pls stop.

cheers,

X.G.

May I ask where you found the 465B service manual, I would also like to acquire a copy. Thank You!

X.G. said:
I just slove the bad blanking problem referercing to the tektronix 465B scope service manual tonight:cool: :cool: .

The source of this big trouble is from the C865,0.02UF /maybe 3000V, which coulpe to the CRT grid in the DC retorer circuit.This cap in the tektronix 465B scope is C4118.The pin of C865 had disconnected:smash: !!! After I connected the pin,the big trouble gone.

I will repair the CH2 input amp in next step.I am waiting for the CA3127E:bawling: :dead: :hot:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.