Black Gate Capacitors are JUNK - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2002, 02:54 AM   #21
Banned

Default Black Gate Capacitors are JUNK

If I had started thsi drivel, I guess I would have been called a pompous ***.

But I didn't. Next time someone gets irrate at my warped sense of humour, I'm going to throw this one in their face.

Excuse me while I go back to making a dishonest dollar.

Jocko
Old 7th May 2002, 03:06 AM   #22
Banned

Default Crossover caps

Grey is right the Solens bypassed with a 0.1 Polystrene are very good. I like MITs and Relcap polypropelynes by passed by small polystyrenes. Hovlands are excellent but you can pay some pretty silly money here. Biamping starts to look real attractive for us DIY amp builders and may be cheaper. I like 4th order Linkwitz active crossovers.
Old 7th May 2002, 07:43 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Jocko:

It was a joke My other post, asking basically the same question got one response. Terrible tactics, but it worked. Not sure if that says something about me or the forum, I'm still new around here

Do you like black gates?
Old 7th May 2002, 07:54 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jgwinner
Jocko:

Do you like black gates?
------------------------------------------------

Yes, but only certain types and applications show up their advantages. To me, they are:

1. The expensive FK type for coupling with dc bias. Rotel uses them for the Michi range and they do sound better than Elnas or Panasonics premium types. They also measure better for tan delta.

2. N types for non polar applications. They too sound good.

Caveat is that they are used only when there is no space for non electrolytics.

The indiscriminate use of BG advocated by sellers just costs you a lot of money.
Old 7th May 2002, 08:04 AM   #25
sonnya is offline sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Do anyone have a real datasheet on those blackgates .... I have seen nothing but sales "junk" datasheets on them.

Sonny
Old 7th May 2002, 10:33 AM   #26
raul_77 is offline raul_77  Europe
diyAudio Member

If you have access to Electronics World & Wireless World, please, read all the articles of Mr. Cyril Bateman about capacitors.

Also any very intersting about measures in loudspeaker cables.

If you wait any time, in June or July, Mr Cyril Bateman plain publishe in EW&WW a series of six articles about distortion in capacitors.

I maintain any correspondence with Mr. from any years, and I can read any parts of this articles. Naturally I cannot advance nothing before that the articles are publishing, but I thing that are the best work about capacitors that I have read.

Endurance!

Happy days,

Raśl Couto
Old 7th May 2002, 11:04 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sonnya
Do anyone have a real datasheet on those blackgates .... I have seen nothing but sales "junk" datasheets on them.

Sonny
---------------------------------
See Micahel Percy's site for more info. BGs are marketed by Jelmax in Japan but I can,t trace the manufacturer or their site. Having been a skeptic, all I can say is that they work in some circumstances. Don't listen to the hype.
Old 7th May 2002, 11:07 AM   #28
sonnya is offline sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Their website .. www.blackgate.jp

Still it is only sales stuff. Where they say that their caps go to 10GHz ... Is this why we see them every where in HF equipment (joke).

Sonny
Old 7th May 2002, 12:23 PM   #29
Banned

JG:

Normally, I would find the humour in your tactics. But the timing could not have been worse.

Maybe you didn't get the response you sought because:

1.) No one was interested. A possibilty.

2.) No one has used them. A bit too pricey for most, and perhaps no one wanted to admit they can't afford them.

I have never used them. I go out of my way to avoid over-priced, hard-to-get stuff unless there is a valid reason to use them. No one has demonstrated a reason to use them. They might be good, might be junk. Doesn't matter much to me either way.

I use active crossovers (lots of reasons), so I don't have a pressing need for large value caps. Except for power supplies.

Jocko
Old 7th May 2002, 04:27 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Jocko:

You miss the point, I was just looking for exactly what this thread has provided. I'm not really for or against Black Gates, I was just looking for 'good' capacitors of all kinds.

You keep saying 'used them'. This thread is not about the title, this thread is about 'what is a good capacitor'.

Your brand recommendations?

Hide this!Advertise here!