Transformer source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm Looking for a sources of Toroid transformers. Preferred is a single 117Vac primary with dual secondary windings 38 to 50vac each.

VA ratings from 400 to 1000.

Preferrably the transformers would be designed for low noise (both mechanically, and electrically).

Wound for slightly lower levels of peak flux density than normal, would be a plus.

Just wondering where you guys buy transformers from, and what your experiences are with the various companies.

Oh, yeah, to pot or not to pot?

-Dan

Apex Jr.

I recently received two toroids from a place called "Apex Jr." They sell (apparently) surplus and over-run equipment. I bought two very nice Avel Lindberg 150VA, dual 38.4V units for $22 a piece, which I plan to use in a 2-channel psuedo-Gainclone that I'm working on.

What I really wanted was a single 300-400VA unit, but I think the two smaller ones will work just as well, if not better.

He also seems to have a fairly wide variety of other stuff useful to audio builders, including some fairly inexpensive tube sockets (compared to the few other places I've looked).

Doesn't accept internet orders but was very polite when I spoke to him over the phone.

http://apexjr.com/miscellaneous.html#Toroids

-Kadin

Re: Re: Transformer source

markp said:

On larger unit, dont pot. I like unpotted power transformers as they are easier to mount, weigh less, and run cooler in my experience.

What do yo consider larger units? I'm thinking of 600 to 800VA units for this deisgn. (I still need to do a few calculations, before I choose the actual size)

I had the company that I listed earlier quote me a custom low flux audio unit, potted in a metal enclosure. Prices were pretty good, only about $20 more than the standard units.

Mounting is with a 1/4-20 bolt.

I would suspect that the lower flux transformers should run cooler (as there will be less area covered by the B-H curve).

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Dan

Re: Re: Re: Transformer source

dkemppai said:

What do yo consider larger units? I'm thinking of 600 to 800VA units for this deisgn. (I still need to do a few calculations, before I choose the actual size)

I had the company that I listed earlier quote me a custom low flux audio unit, potted in a metal enclosure. Prices were pretty good, only about $20 more than the standard units.

Mounting is with a 1/4-20 bolt.

I would suspect that the lower flux transformers should run cooler (as there will be less area covered by the B-H curve).

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Dan
Above about 100va is a larger(non-preamp) unit. The way to run cool is to overspec the power needed by about 20-30%. Toroids are pretty good as far as mechanical noise goes and have a small field than standard units so metal potting is not always needed, save weight and money.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Transformer source

markp said:
Above about 100va is a larger(non-preamp) unit. The way to run cool is to overspec the power needed by about 20-30%. Toroids are pretty good as far as mechanical noise goes and have a small field than standard units so metal potting is not always needed, save weight and money.

I'm not sure if I need the metal, and potting.

I have some transformers now, that are noisy, mechanically. I was thinking that the potting would help to dampen that out a little. I don't konw what the stray flux field looks like, but may pull out the gauss probe, and poke around a little.

I'm already planning on oversizing the transformers. Just wondering where the 20% to 30% rule comes from? Is at rule of thumb?

-Dan

Frazzled said:
The only downfall of Plitron is that they don't stock any of their transformers, everything is made to order so it can take up to 4 weeks for them to complete your order.

The audio transformers from the other company I was looking at are about 6 weeks delivery. That is fine, as I have been slowly working on the project for several years. Four weeks is almost too fast :)

Do you happen to have any picture of your amp with the 1.5kva transformers in it?

-Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.