Fake ELNA capacitors ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2004, 10:37 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fake ELNA capacitors ?

Would anybody know if the black capacitor (10,000uF 71V ) capacitor is a fake ? The plastic is not even and the top cover is made of VERY thin plastic.
Can the 71V unit be smaller than the 56V type?
The Blue one looks 'neat' and I am inclined to think it is an original ( 10,000uF 56V).
Thanks,
Ashok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elna1.jpg (29.2 KB, 3570 views)
Old 8th May 2004, 04:09 PM   #2
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default May be both are fake

I have seen some similar with the black one, and they are fake. The blue one is quite similar with starget in color, but not in build quality.

IMHO, most fake components are very easy to determine from the build quality (the print), that is if you have seen the original one.

I've never found a fake component that is sold for original component's price. Original ELNA are expensive, especially when it is claimed for audio. This label itself ("For Audio") looks suspicious to me. It just seems not proffessional (Elna has starget, silmic, cerafine, etc, and Rubicon Black Gate has N, NX, Muse, etc, all with their own purpose in audio implementation).

I believe you got the blue one for less than half a Starget price. I have used cheap "branded" capacitors, and they sound horrible. Cheap but original Nippon-Chemicon is much better. I used Nippon-Chemicon (damn, I hope I'm not mistaken with the brand) for my power supplies. A lot cheaper than the Cerafine, but almost equal in quality (for power supply).

I said, for power supply caps, just go for the original one
Old 8th May 2004, 04:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
"For Audio" grading is quite popular with Japanese components and those caps here are original (taken out from equipment).

What seems strange for your caps is voltage rating and that makes them seemed to be rather fake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caps.jpg (24.5 KB, 3359 views)
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 9th May 2004, 08:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

...I came across a thread a while ago on DiyAudio and found this picture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20036723511947608.jpg (47.2 KB, 3586 views)
Old 9th May 2004, 08:36 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I don't know how common this is (one would hope this is an isolated case), but it just goes to show - take nothing for granted!

You can test cap. values with even cheap multimeters these days and checking manufacturers websites for pictures is, of course, always an option. Granted it shouldn't be the case that this should be necessary, but if you're ordering any quantity of large name-brand caps. it could cost quite a lot and testing a single unit may be prudent.

Also if you find a fraudulent retailer I'm sure the manufacturer of the original unit would appreciate being informed.

Hope this helps?
Old 9th May 2004, 11:14 AM   #6
Borc is offline Borc  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

I found Elna datasheet for those caps. There is no 10000uF value for 71WV. But the datasheet may be old.

http://borc.sloweb.net/Elna%20LPO.pdf
Old 9th May 2004, 01:10 PM   #7
Vigier is offline Vigier  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

71V working voltage is not an unusual value, just like 56V an 80V (usually there's only 50V/63V/100V

The casing looks like the LP5-series (about a month or 2 I bought a box (100) of the LP5 10.000F/63V capacitors.
They have a slightly different text, but same case-color, and printing type.
63V capacitors can work at 71V's. Maybe they used a "cheap" LP5 capacitor and just printed something else on it (71V and the text "for audio" just makes it a little more expensive).

Grtz, Joris
Old 9th May 2004, 02:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Joris,
I think Borc and I were trying to point out that Elna does not have a 10,000uF/71V capacitor in their range. Not even in their latest catalogue on the Web. No argument about other makes having 71V and 80 V in their range , Elna also but at lower capacitance values.

Does the Elna you bought look like the one in the picture?
Cheers,
Ashok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elna2.jpg (8.7 KB, 2820 views)
Old 9th May 2004, 05:37 PM   #9
kpee is offline kpee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Fake Elna Elcos

Having worked for Rubycon for 10 years I have seen very many large Elcos with unusual voltages. Many Japanese manufacturers (JVC, Pioneer etc) ask for non-standard voltages to be supplied so 71V is not unusual. We have supplied panasonic with 5600mfd 72V. It is very difficult to identify "fake" capacitors. In the end the only way of detecting them is to measure cap, esr, Tan delta and leakage and compare with known good devices. If that does not confirm the "fake" cut the unit open. A good clue is how big is the wound unit they are usually designed to be a reasonably tight fit in the can.
Old 9th May 2004, 07:32 PM   #10
Vigier is offline Vigier  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Ashok,

It looks pretty much like your picture but some small differences:
The text from top to bottom says (yeah, it's a REALLY nbad picture I made)

ELNA
LP 5
63 V
10000F(M)
THAILAND
CE 85C
(this text is printed 3 times on it)

The side where the lips are, is made of rubber I think.

Grtz, Joris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hpim0092_small.jpg (4.1 KB, 2677 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!