12 channel volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'v been looking around for a way to control the volume on my 12 channel amp, but haven't found a decent solution. The best I could find was a 6 channel pot, or go with digital control. (probably the best way)
I wondering thogh are there pots that can just be connected together modualy? That way I can string together as many as I need. Haven't been able to find anything like that.

Thanks,
Chris

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
epoxy the shaft of the second to the rear end of the shaft of the first.

For those of us who don't trust epoxy in a torsional situation,
I suppose one couuld cut a slot in each shaft and connect with a short strip of metal (and maybe hold in place with.....epoxy?)

Still a pot made to stack sounds perfect. I mean it would be a perfect choice , but we don't know how it sounds ;)

For those of us who don't trust epoxy in a torsional situation,
I suppose one couuld cut a slot in each shaft and connect with a short strip of metal (and maybe hold in place with.....epoxy?)

Unfortunately the shaft that moves through the pot is much smaller 1/16" diameter, so slotting it might not work. If you used jbweld however and countersunk a hole in the receiving shaft then glue the two together I think it would be safe and stable.

Ill try to take a picture of the inside or scan one and post it tonight.

Milo

edit: wow i really can't spell

I going to take a look at the ones I mentioned b4, only a buck each.

While looking at some sliding pots I figured if I just attached a bar to the slider I could move them all at once. Plus by offseting them I could pre set the balance between them.

just an update for everyone...

i got the pots from allelectronics the other day, and i GUESS they could be stacked, but not without a bit of engineering. they dont even open up without breaking the tabs off. so, once you open then, you basically have to glue them back shut, or figure something else out.

however, they were cheap! i got a set of gears along with them, so i am almost done making a little gear assembly that will turn left and right at the same time with one shaft. i can post pictures if anyone cares.

12 Ch Volume using presets

This control can be realised by using 12 presets.

The psesets like the ones made by Piher, Spain (may be history, no idea) have a through hole. They can be soldered onto a long purpose made PCB so that a shaft goes through all of them. This will make a better, mechanically stable end product. However quality of presets will decide the ...phile level...

A look alike example are the multiway rotary switches in older oscilloscopes, with switch wafers mounted from front to rear, interconnected by a shaft

This is nearly Plug and Play

Enjoy

Gajanan Phadte

well, here are the pictures of the contraption i just built.

it is perfectly smooth. there is a small squeak, but i am not using any lubricant yet, its all bare metal to metal. so, with a bit of oil, or gear grease, it should be fine. its pretty slight though. the gears dont rub, and there is no harder points to turn, its consistant.

its somewhat complicated, but the idea is simple. i took gears from allelectronics, drilled them out to accept 1/4" shaft. in one end i put a very small 1/4" rod though it, just enough to stick out about 1/8". then on the other side, i put another rod in, but this one was hollow, to accept the shaft on the pot. you cant see it in the pictures, but there are two holes in the gears between the teeth for a countersunk threaded rod that holds them tight to their guts. this of course stops them from turning.

the pots are screwed tightly on the bar, the gears tightened onto them, and the other side has the very short shaft. this shaft slides into a small hole in the metal at the other side.

the center peice is done in much the same way but its a complete rod that goes through the entire thing. it is drilled through the rod and secured with a screw also. there are washers as spacers to make sure its all tight and there is no extra room.

the whole thing holds together with machine bolts that are countersunk into the outside plate, and another plate mashed on top of them (the angled piece). then, it is fed through to the other plate that the pots sit on.

all in all, im pretty proud of it. its nice because there is NO slack at ALL in the shaft. and its got a bit of weight behind it. its not flimsy at all. the whole thing will be mounted at the angle with rubber washers to absorb some of the turning pressure to give a softer feel.

Attachments

• pot2.jpg
    pot2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 190
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.