New to site Speaker cables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am new to the site, but from posting some questions on Nelson Pass noticed that many here don't believe cables make any difference and while from my own tests I disagree with that, I would like to try and make some and compare them.

I find that about 1 in 5 cables in speaker type make any real difference that makes them worth buying, but those cables do effect focus, size of sound stage, height of such, and coloration or lack of such with the better cable. Because Monster's best buy the foot does sound better than 1/2 the cables out there, I conclude that many cables are actually well packaged marketing tools, which is probably why so many people have no belief in them, but where if anywhere here would I find info about making my own, and tricks of the trade so to speak?

If I were making a set they would be 12 feet in length, probably biwired since I am taking the time, and because the Pass amps on't take spades on the model I have, that would be the connector I would use. I didn't see a line of threads that was on anything related to this, so I went to the most undefined of the forums and am fishing?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.:whazzat:

Yep, you will get a rather broad range of views on this subject up here. I myself used to be anon-believer in cables making much of a difference to the sound untill I heard one particular interconnect with my then new CD player. This convinced me that the cables can make a difference (in this case bad, it gave far too much HF through to the amp, very hard to listen to), and I tried a couple of others and found that as long as you get a decent cable, then there (to me) should be no more gain after a scertain point at which you hit your own personal limit. Luckily for me this has ended up with me only needing to spend about £10 to get everything I need to make up my own cables which I have yet to better in my own system.

I would divide the world in two:

Those who belive outgoing from a normal cable, special high priced voodoo cables can make sound better.

And those who belive outgoing from normal standart cable, eg. pice of copper with any insulator around, no breaks beween both end connectors, there may be cables that make sound worse.

I vote for the 2nd.

Reasons: A cable may show differences from a well made with common sense cable: high R, high L, high C, no connection between bopth end connectors (what would make the ultimative difference in sound: no sound) and anything mixed from these.

Of corse this may cause some influence on sound, and a good reason to find the sound better would be the high price the listener had to pay for the cable.

http://www.passlabs.com/pdf/spkrcabl.pdf
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/spkcbl_e.html

and of corse everything one did himshlef he likes best, like you love your child most. And as most people find its difficult to "tweak" with active components, or change topologie of the audio device, they stick "tweaking" and "tuning" cables, connectors, capacitors, resistors, and whatever is easy to do and still get any sound out of the audio device, and of corse everything they "tweaked" gives a better result than before, improvement is proportional to money wasted.

And what nobody has been able to explain me: ever counted the effect of the meters long solid-copper wire in the inductors in the crossover and voice-coil... the parameters in these coils will be much much larger than the ones in the short stretch of speaker-cable. (Not speaking about interlinks).

Problem is a bit that nobody comes up with some objective measurements and puts them on the web (or books).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.