High grade replacement transistors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No it's the higher gain band version.

The devices you quote are already good audio devices and staying within the contraints of the packaging I doubt any better can be done.

The only comment I would make is that BC550/560 are a complementary pair, as are the BC549/559. So if you are using the devices listed as complementary pairs you are not using the optimum solution.

These transistors *are* 'audio marked' devices!

You may be able to improve a little on the BD139 with one of the new ONsemi devices, MJE15034. If this is hard to get (very new release) then try its predecessor MJE15032. But beware that these are a TO-220 case and the pinout is reversed.

For small-signal my 'special drawer' has Sanyo 2SA1016 and 2SC2362 in it. But these devices have a totally different pinout to the BC5xx series and are fairly hard to get.

I really don't think you will notice any difference using other than BC550/560 - they are high gain linear devices. Better spend your time and money on something that will make more difference, like bigger/more power supply caps/better regulators.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.