Anyone ever use any Mil-Spec RG-142 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got some Mil-Spec Plenum RG142, 100% braided shield and solid center conductor. Both are silver over copper. Would this stuff make good interconnects?

Attachments

• rg142.jpg
    rg142.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 240
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Electrical skin effect says that the coax would perform similar to solid silver cable. The 98% shield rating would say that it would keep your sensitive input signals well shielded.

Matter of fact, I'm gonna use it for my TDA7294 BTL input cabling.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
To my knowledge the skin effect is an electrical property that even occurs at 50-60 hz (Mains Power Frequency). It would seem to me that skin effect does play a role, now, when you are talking the lengths needed for intracabling of an amplifier though there will be immeasurable losses. You should only gain a quieter input source from the 98% shielding.

Yes. I picked some up cheap at surplus and used it for interconnect wire in both my hifi rig and in my lab. No particular issues other than it was a bit stiffer than I'd like.

Wow talk about resurrecting a dead thread. I think this is a record for one of my posts; almost 7 years.

Anyway, I too found it to be to stiff for my liking. I have had much better results from RG-316 and RG-174.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.