How do I diy Hi-End filter power supply and power cord? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2004, 07:26 AM   #1
bmpa is offline bmpa  Afghanistan
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to bmpa Send a message via AIM to bmpa Send a message via MSN to bmpa Send a message via Yahoo to bmpa
Default How do I diy Hi-End filter power supply and power cord?

How do I diy Hi-End filter power supply and power cord?
Old 23rd April 2004, 08:40 AM   #2
Banned

with some inductors and some caps?
Old 23rd April 2004, 08:48 AM   #3
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: How do I diy Hi-End filter power supply and power cord?

Quote:
Originally posted by bmpa
How much power, voltage etc?
Old 23rd April 2004, 09:25 AM   #4
Vortex is offline Vortex  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Vortex Send a message via MSN to Vortex
I'll reply if he won't

One Class-A monoblock, toroidal transformer, 12 Watts output power.

1) How big the toroid should be ? As I've heard, it shall be quite oversized for very good results. 200VA for example for that 12 Watt tube power? Or more ? Less ?

2) rectifying with diodes, Graetz-bridge, no tubes. Buffer capacitor will be one huge electrolytics with about 100,000 uF (0,1 F) for lowest 50-Hz ripple. A small ceramic or metal-film capacitor with small capacity (for example 470uF) will be parallel-connected with it, just to avoid the lush slow sound of the big one and improve highs.

What about that all ?

Can I find diodes on the market which are capable of feeding such a big electrolitycs constantly? (They will be protected for over-Ampers when turning on the device, of course).

Any other ideas for that all rectifying and filtering?

3) Is there any need of stabilizing the supply for the tube circuit (all DC of course)?

4) Heating will be 6,3V DC, separate transformer, whole separate circuit, even turning-on the amp will happen in two steps:
1st switch on, heating enabled. Wait for 1-2 minutes. Then 2nd switch on, amp enabled and usable.

Now the question follows here, too: how big (or small) transformer should I choose for the heating's 6,3V DC ? There are 4 tubes per monoblock, all of them requiring 6,3V DC heating at different mA values. 2x365mA + 800mA + 1,6A.

I go further: does heating need to be stabilized? Is it completely unnecessary, or does it have a sense, even if not too much ? Will I hear the difference?

Thank you
Old 23rd April 2004, 09:34 AM   #5
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Default Re: How do I diy Hi-End filter power supply and power cord?

Quote:
Originally posted by bmpa
I can't tell you much about power supplies. But a good power cable can be made from good speaker cable - braided or twisted, connected to a good mains plug - MK Toughplug for example, and a good tight-fitting IEC plug at the other end. You must clean and polish all contacts with Brasso or similar, screw things down tight, and treat all surfaces with Deoxit or similar contact enhancer. This will give you a good power cable, which may or may not be worth it's cost. Compared to a 'normal' one it may solidify bass and clean the sound up.

Of course, if you need earth, you need another wire...
Old 23rd April 2004, 12:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have the feeling that our high-end friend is interested in mains filtering and not the design of power suppies. A well liked DIY design can be found here Jon Risch
Old 24th April 2004, 12:12 AM   #7
Ken L is offline Ken L  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa
is interested in mains filtering and not the design of power suppies
That was my interpretation of the original question.

If correct, and bmpa is interested in filtering the mains, my suggestion is to buy a surplus isolation transformer, or two of them _grin_

My reasoning is that quite possibly you could buy the complete setup cheaper as business or industrial salvage than you could buy the parts.

Not much DIY involved, but cheaper and easier.

I have two 1450 watt Powervar's. I just plug one Powervar into the other Powervar, and plug all of the audio stuff into the powervar that's at the end of the chain.

Works well, and is cheap.

Regards

Ken L

Hide this!Advertise here!