Revox B225 Spindle motor bearing

You can find metal screws with the same pitch at places like Micro Tools.
The head is simply to turn the screw...a different shape should not be a problem, provided you have the right bit to turn it.
Brand new DVD writers are about 1000 Rupees or about 13 Euros here. You could use the mechanism if possible, the older ones were IDE, now only SATA are available.

Sure, but I think an important feature is that it should be nylon/ Teflon. If you use a metal screw, you get metal on metal grinding and wear on the bearing itself. I've read that you can stick a teflon/ nylon sheet on top. I think a wholly 'plastic' replacement would be preferable/ more elegant.

You can try a shop that does 3D printing, most effective for small quantities.
And those screws might be available for use in medical equipment, toys, clock parts.
Do a search for screw (diameter x length, pitch, head)...
You should get results.
Teflon is harder wearing, use a dab of lube, and get two, sometimes the additional quantities are cheaper as the setup cost is divided over multiple units.
And tell us if the original was metal or plastic, and if metal check with a magnet to verify it was steel or brass.

Last edited:
I received my replacement bearing screw. It installs fine. It might have improved reading but only really of CDs that it could play before but might take a couple of attempts. It doesn't really increase the number of CDs that it can read, which in my sample is about 30-40% of what I have.

If I have trouble reading some CDs (all original) am I looking at replacing the laser or something else, do you think please?

Cheers. The caps have been replaced recently though not by myself.

I'm assuming that 'platter' and 'spindle' height here are the same thing, and is what is adjusted by the thrust bearing screw? If some CDs play, then it should be 'more or less' correct? With CDs that don't play, I've tried to adjust the thrust bearing to get them to play, but can't.

Update. I got a 'NOS' CDM1 transport and just fitted it. The PCB connectors are different so I had to transplant those over, which as it turns out also include the motor. So in the end I had a new laser assembly with the old motor and the replacement thrust bearing. I panicked a bit when I put everything back and the CD wouldn't spin. I adjusted the thrust bearing a bit, and then it started working. The good news is that my Revox now reads all CDs, almost immediately.

I don't know what the fault with the laser was/is. Perhaps it's the laser diode, but I can't check now because the part is not in my machine anymore.

A bit of a pricey fix, but good to be able to play all CDs properly.