Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Best electronic switch for audio signals-logic drive
Best electronic switch for audio signals-logic drive
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 01:54 AM   #31
davidsrsb is offline davidsrsb  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenelectro View Post
Looking a bit closer I think

a/ simulating 10kHz would be worthwhile and
b/ the harmonic spectrum looks pretty nasty ie; you have dominant H5 / H7 / H9
If you look at the datasheet of something like a 74HC4066, you will see some abrupt discontinuities in the resistance curve at just over one volt from either rail. To use one of these devices, you need to avoid these points at low signal levels. It doesn't matter so much at musical peaks.
Does the simulation impedance curve look anything like the data sheet?
Old Yesterday, 06:16 AM   #32
voltwide is offline voltwide  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mictester View Post
Just for my amusement, I constructed the switch as presented a couple of posts ago, using Real Components™. Testing on the Audio Precision test set suggested that the worst distortion in the entire audio band happens at (roughly) 20kHz. I used 2N7000 FETs (as they were all I had today. Testing at several spot frequencies showed that there was essentially no measurable distortion - this could be a winning approach!
well done!
Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM   #33
mictester is offline mictester  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktrader200 View Post
I used CD4052 in a car stereo unit that was excellent. I see no reason that 2 x cd4052 at 18v both channels paralleled for left and right would not be outstanding.
1 chip for each channel.

Unfortunately, I find that the basic 4000-series CMOS switches add noticeable distortion. I've used them for switching Pre Fade Listen in disco mixers, but I wouldn't consider using them in a critical programme path.
Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM   #34
diyralf is offline diyralf
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just for my amusement, I constructed the switch as presented a couple of posts ago, using Real Components™. Testing on the Audio Precision test set suggested that the worst distortion in the entire audio band happens at (roughly) 20kHz. I used 2N7000 FETs (as they were all I had today. Testing at several spot frequencies showed that there was essentially no measurable distortion - this could be a winning approach!

Would you provide some measurement plots of the circuit?
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM   #35
voltwide is offline voltwide  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, I find that the basic 4000-series CMOS switches add noticeable distortion. I've used them for switching Pre Fade Listen in disco mixers, but I wouldn't consider using them in a critical programme path.
The results depend on the circuitry around. For lowest THD keep voltage excursions related to ground as small as possible.
For that reason switching into a virtual ground summing node is superior to simple hi-impedance voltage switching.
I do not use 4000er gates specially because of their charge injection that causes audible glitches. And as you cannot slow down switching speed there is nothing you can do about it.
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #36
stocktrader200 is offline stocktrader200  Canada
diyAudio Member

I used cd4066 in a 10 bit volume controller for tape recording mid 80's. I used a 15 volt supply split at 7.5v for the 2 op amps and 4066's. It does a wonderful job as I could not hear any audible difference now or then, when my hearing was much better.
47k drive resistors removed switch noise to op amp noise levels.

Best electronic switch for audio signals-logic driveHide this!Advertise here!