RS 40-987 In Wall Traf. Volume Control as preamp attenuator - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2004, 07:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default RS 40-987 In Wall Traf. Volume Control as preamp attenuator

I saw a RadioShack In-Wall transformer based attenuator used as a passive preamp at the NWWA DIY Audio Meet this weekend. Apparently there was a thread on diyAudio about it but I can't find it.

Any opinions or caveats about using this as a passive pre or attenuator for a preamp?

I really quickly wired it up as a pre volume control for my Bottlehead Foreplay and it seems to work but I haven't had a chance to do any critical listening.

I'm thinking of setting my dual mono volume controls at my max listening level and using this attenuator to control the volume. Even with only 9 steps (+ mute) there seem to be enough volume steps for my needs.
Old 19th April 2004, 08:14 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: RS 40-987 In Wall Traf. Volume Control as preamp attenuator

Quote:
Originally posted by ultrachrome
I saw a RadioShack In-Wall transformer based attenuator used as a passive preamp at the NWWA DIY Audio Meet this weekend. Apparently there was a thread on diyAudio about it but I can't find it.
I hear Terry has finally gotten his in a box.... when i heard it a couple of years ago i was quite impressed with it... enuff to go out and get one for a project of my own. I got a more expensive 12-position Niles unit. I have a 3 position selector switch & chassis to go along with it... just need to get around to drilling holes for the RCAs, and wire it togther.

dave
Old 19th April 2004, 08:17 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

PS... the reason you can't find the thread is because i think it was over on the Full Range Forum. There was also a bit on commentaty of it in the thread on the 1st Vancouver DIY-fest that RAW hosted.

dave
Old 19th April 2004, 08:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I checked Full Range forum but couldn't find anything. I thought the thread was at diyAudio because the printout I saw had your avatar on it.

I'm wondering what I might want know about TVCs before I start using it.
Old 19th April 2004, 09:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

...like where should I use it with a line stage? Before or after?

I've been googling TVCs and have not come up with much except for S&B's web page but much of it seemed over my head.
Old 19th April 2004, 09:20 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ultrachrome
...like where should I use it with a line stage? Before or after?
Usually the TVC replaces the line-stage. or you use it as the line-stages volume control.

dave
Old 7th February 2007, 07:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Does anyone effectively try it. How does it sound? I'm looking for a passive preamp to use with my gainclone (non inverting).

Is there any concern with the fact that this attenuator was built for 8 ohm load (speakers) and we use it somewhere esle with potential different load (between cd and power amp for example).

Thnaks
Old 8th February 2007, 12:09 AM   #8
zBuff is offline zBuff  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

That's good point you raise there actually. You might actually gain more improvements by having no volume control device between your preamp and your poweramp, and just using the TVC for the purpose it was designed, between ampiflier and speaker.

I can't say I've tried a TVC myself yet, but I have been interested in trying them out.
Old 8th February 2007, 12:55 AM   #9
moamps is offline moamps  Croatia
diyAudio Member

The RadioShack in-wall transformer-based attenuator is intended for speaker power attenuation. It is generally not suitable for line-level attenuation for 2 main reasons. Firstly, attenuation steps are not in the appropriate dB voltage range (the attenuator is designed for power-step attenuation, not voltage). Secondly and more importantly, primary inductance is not sufficient to supply the attenuator directly from the line source, causing a dramatic rise in f3 and low-frequency distortion.

In my experience with TVCs, primary inductance should be above at least 30-40 H to avoid low-frequency rolloff (depending on the output impedance of the source). I have currently 2 TVCs published on my personal website, one of which is the autotransformer type (in the picture below).

Regards,
Milan

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!