RS 40-987 In Wall Traf. Volume Control as preamp attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I saw a RadioShack In-Wall transformer based attenuator used as a passive preamp at the NWWA DIY Audio Meet this weekend. Apparently there was a thread on diyAudio about it but I can't find it.

Any opinions or caveats about using this as a passive pre or attenuator for a preamp?

I really quickly wired it up as a pre volume control for my Bottlehead Foreplay and it seems to work but I haven't had a chance to do any critical listening.

I'm thinking of setting my dual mono volume controls at my max listening level and using this attenuator to control the volume. Even with only 9 steps (+ mute) there seem to be enough volume steps for my needs.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ultrachrome said:
I saw a RadioShack In-Wall transformer based attenuator used as a passive preamp at the NWWA DIY Audio Meet this weekend. Apparently there was a thread on diyAudio about it but I can't find it.

I hear Terry has finally gotten his in a box.... when i heard it a couple of years ago i was quite impressed with it... enuff to go out and get one for a project of my own. I got a more expensive 12-position Niles unit. I have a 3 position selector switch & chassis to go along with it... just need to get around to drilling holes for the RCAs, and wire it togther.

dave

Hi,
Does anyone effectively try it. How does it sound? I'm looking for a passive preamp to use with my gainclone (non inverting).

Is there any concern with the fact that this attenuator was built for 8 ohm load (speakers) and we use it somewhere esle with potential different load (between cd and power amp for example).

Thnaks

That's good point you raise there actually. You might actually gain more improvements by having no volume control device between your preamp and your poweramp, and just using the TVC for the purpose it was designed, between ampiflier and speaker.

I can't say I've tried a TVC myself yet, but I have been interested in trying them out.

The RadioShack in-wall transformer-based attenuator is intended for speaker power attenuation. It is generally not suitable for line-level attenuation for 2 main reasons. Firstly, attenuation steps are not in the appropriate dB voltage range (the attenuator is designed for power-step attenuation, not voltage). Secondly and more importantly, primary inductance is not sufficient to supply the attenuator directly from the line source, causing a dramatic rise in f3 and low-frequency distortion.

In my experience with TVCs, primary inductance should be above at least 30-40 H to avoid low-frequency rolloff (depending on the output impedance of the source). I have currently 2 TVCs published on my personal website, one of which is the autotransformer type (in the picture below).

Regards,
Milan

passivetotal.JPG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.