Chassis service?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I highly recommend Landfall Systems, and use them for most of my designs. They are a great option for those who can't or don't want to fabricate their own chassis. I should disclose that I am pretty friendly these days with one of the principals at Landfall, so am inclined to recommend them to anyone listening..

There are a couple fellows in our NJ Audio Society who are in the audio biz -- one of the most expensive parts of the design process is working with the industrial design team who plan the aesthetics, eye appeal -- and this cost is a very significant portion of the total.

As long as wifey doesn't complain, the great pleasure of rolling your own is the absence of any aesthetic sense!

I usually buy an off-the shelf chassis, wood or metal, through Ebay.

For the top panel I use Front Panel Express. They have a program that allows you to determine the location of holes, along with sizing, etc. They also do letter engraving, squares, countersinking, and a bunch of other different things. The learning curve of using the software isn't that steep. You can get a price anytime.

Here is the last order I did through them - a parallel SEP amplifier
Pebu6zO.jpg

Hi mbates

If you are in the US, and are only doing a one-off, then I recommend big blue saw.

Big Blue Saw - Waterjet and Laser Cutting - Instant Quote

If you can generate a cad layout of a top plate, they can cut it. I found them to be quite competitive and very friendly people to work with. Their material selection is huge too.

I had them do a few custom top plates and deliver to my hotel while I was in the US on business last year. I liked the quality and to be honest they were cheaper than the well-known german front-plate service I was using before, and they can cut stainless steel, which the well-known german front-plate service did not want to do.

For the frame, get a local cabinet maker to make it. Then you can choose the wood, etc as you prefer. Look for a cabinet maker, and not a carpenter... Give them accurate dimensions. For me here in Europe, this means quoting in millimeters with a decimal place.

Its good if there is a very small amount of play between plate and frame, because the plate as it will expand a little bit with heat. I just sand the edges and have not had any problems.

If that is all too expensive, then just go for a Hammond enclosure. :D

Honestly though, I went through all the steps of hole punches, stepped drills, etc... took ages to achieve satisfactory results on my own. And I never could get the woodwork up to scratch... My feeling is that nothing beats getting this stuff cut by a pro, and it leaves you more time to concentrate on good design, proper layout, etc.

Last edited:
A Hammond case and some Greenlee punches may be easier to use than you think. The punches will let you build multiple cases. Get some graph paper (or CAD if you can) and center punch the holes. Drill and use the Greenlee punch. You will be shocked how nice it can turn out.

Agree. I did this a few times as well. The OP is welcome to message me if they want to buy my greenlee punches though. my days of using them are over.

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.