Dyson Audio Facemelters (cables) :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a very old philosophical divide, mysticism vs. objectivism, faith vs. evidence, belief vs. skepticism. In the field of electricity/electronics objectivism has delivered incredible progress that our ancestors might condemn as witchery, including the devices and network over which we discuss these matters. That we communicate globally and instantaneously, measure extra-solar planets, study the gravitiational waves from blackhole collisions, and develop and operate the Large Hadron Collider suggests that our technological competence at 1m power cables is comprehensive. Yet mysticsm lives.

These cables appear dirt cheap for what they are. Not sure at all about their silver but the ones with OCC wire cannot possibly sound bad. Over the years i have gradually moved to OCC for interconnects, speaker an power cables. Mostly diy using Neotech/Furutech wire.

Still, cable is such a personal and system dependent choice that is perhaps better to choose something with a money back trial period. Yes, i know, not so easy in EU.

Speaker wire ( or car battery jumper cables )

The resistivity of silver is so close to copper, that a tiny increase in diameter will give the same resistance. To pay for copper for this application is a waste of money..

Oxygene free copper is of the same kind versus regular electric copper wires. Resistivity, again tells it all.

Of course snake oil vendors and their gullible folowers will imagine there is something else. Well, there is none relevant to audio cables.
A joke I like is multistand copper wires are troublesome because of electricity ( electrons ? ) jumping from strands to others. The same joke leads to mono cristal copper wires ( copper beyond oxygene free ) with electricity jumping from cristals to others.

It is fun to read, the pseudo science mumbo jumbo that revals this fake technology. With some tribute to the imagination of the authors. :rofl:

Of course you can. Your aesthetic preferences are not a problem. I am a believer in that you should do what makes you happy... hopefully it’s also safe and designed competently.....

Not sure you invested the right amount of time & effort into your comment but when it comes to me spreading false info about a Litz wire (especially under XLR line level circumstances) I categorically refuse your statement.

Cardas cables (and some other brands) are Litz and are they doing the job, right ? Yes. So why is it then a false info and especially how the hell am I spreading this in a DIY forum when the mentioning of Litz was actually related to the original Facemelters discussed here ? How the hell do I spread ANY kind of wrong information about Litz where I only stated they're good (in the context of line level XLR application!) withouth even saying a single more word about it's principle? Everything else below and above it might be your fantasy instead me saying anything more about a litz wire if it should be applied or not in an audio signal level cable. "Should"-s are another discussion, not going into this what should and what shouldn't be applied in electronics.

It was only meant they don't add any artifacts to the signal nor they make it worse, good is good if well designed but this also applies for everything actually. Bad design bad sound, good design good sound.

"Good" is not equal to "disfunctioning", "good" is not equal to "excellent", "good" is not equal to "amazing" - it's just good within a range of acceptable signal transfer characteristics which is suitable for line level audio transmission from A to B within whatever.. x meters in good quality - which term referred to here are ALL subjective but I didn't came here to discuss about the meaning of "good" and the absolute position of it on the quality scale.

Good is either measured or not but is a function of taste as well, at least in the analog world. Actually in digital too as long as we're not using error correction but this is another topic.

"Good" is simply good, where in this case any kind of properly designed Litz XLR cable is a "good", just like the cheapest, built-to-specs normal XLR from the nearby hi-fi store, which is also a "good". Some people don't see colors, for them it's "good". Some see colors, for them one cable might be 0.7x "good", others 1.2x"good" but rounded they're still all scattered around "good".

So when I say Litz is good, it's like saying copper is good. Or silver is good. Or iron is good ('til rust kicks in). :eek: Aren't they ? Of course they are all good, regardless of being different things now (material and cable design). There're better ones, worse ones, but you know, good is good.

****, I'm explaining the meaning of good. Omg. :warped:

The question relating to the Facemelters was if their fancy design - including transparency, lack of shields etc. (and allow me to call them fancy while for others they might be crap but I don't comment others' taste) does make signal transfer weaker compared to a cheap-but-good hi-fi XLR or not. As simple as that but you know I've never ever thought we're going into such kind of discussion about religion and taste and all of the incomprehensible things.

Please... don't mix things and don't try to blame ppl (me) here for spreading ******** when they don't.

And of course I have absolutely nothing to do with Cardas or any other brands here, needless to explain (I hope so), before ANY comments on this arise (me being a troll, or an undercover agent of ANY cable manufacturer), lol.

Maybe I should change my signature and meanwhile get into a SECRET :grouphug: contract with George Cardas like DIIING, just fooled +1 follower on DIY Audio Forums with our Litz ********, heyyy dude, gimme 1 more grand..

Uhh. Enough. :umbrella:

Haaaave a nice Fridaaaaaaaaaaay...
:headbash: :irked:

Last edited:
kevinahcc20 said:
faith vs. evidence
False dichotomy. Perhaps you meant to say faith vs. proof?

Faith (of any type) always has to be based on evidence (of some type - although it may be disputed by 'non-believers'). However, this evidence falls short of proof, because once proof has been established there is no need for faith.

When I drive my car I do so because I have faith that it will get me safely to my destination. I do not have proof; indeed I realise that sometimes it may fail - but I do have evidence (e.g. past experience) that my faith is reasonable. Without faith I could not drive, since I have no proof. If I had proof I would not need faith.

As faith is believing something in the light of evidence, I guess the opposite would be either be believing something despite evidence to the contrary or disbelieving something in spite of evidence for it.

I don't want to get into a discussion which would be strictly OT for this forum, but I often see on here a naive dismissive equation which is essentially faith=ignorance - which merely shows that the person expressing this view is ignorant of what faith actually means. A slightly modified version of this is 'faith is the opposite of science', which is itself a faith position because there can be no proof that science is all there is.

Religion is off-topic for this forum; so should irreligion be. I will say no more.

Cardas cables (and some other brands) are Litz and are they doing the job, right ? Yes.
It's no all that challenging for short lengths of interconnect or speaker cables to do the job.
So while they will do the job, they are not the best choice.
And if we add in cost considerations, they are far from the best choice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.