Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Dyson Audio Facemelters (cables) :)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2018, 12:43 PM   #11
kevinahcc20 is offline kevinahcc20  United States
diyAudio Member

On the "appearance" of cables...do you set up your system with the backs of the components facing out into the listening room? That would seem to make source selection and volume adjustments cumbersome. In my system and every other I have used or seen the cables are not visible so their appearance would seem to not be worth spending a lot of money on. I suppose you could configure and island arrangement or mount a mirror behind the component stack to facilitate observation of cable aesthetics.

Hmmm...I sense a whole new category of high end equipment to be mined. CableView! Looking at your beautiful high end cables while listening to your system improves PRAT by up to 7.3%! The CableView Mirror Backplane is available in rack width starting at $1999!!
Old 11th July 2018, 01:06 PM   #12
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

The type of people who buy these cables are probably the type of people who tell their friends how much they paid, and then insist on showing them the cables before playing any music. They probably also put their system on display rather than hiding it (apart from the speakers, which for acoustic reasons cannot be hidden).

I built a valve power amp. It has a plain black chassis with a plain black ventilated safety cover. You can just about see the glow of the valves inside if you look in the right direction. On the front panel there is a switch and an LED. I normally keep it on the bottom shelf of a cabinet where it is out of eye view. I guess I am unusual.
Old 11th July 2018, 01:42 PM   #13
mchambin is offline mchambin  France
diyAudio Member

Mirrors to see the cables are a must with cable lifters.
From there, for instance.
Cable Lifts - Accessories
No doubt, the sound quality is improved when you display the cables and know the prices.
And do not forget to cut the right and left speaker cables at the exact same length.
Old 11th July 2018, 02:00 PM   #14
avtech23 is offline avtech23  Australia
Speak little, do much
diyAudio Member

I might order one of those 'Large Magic Rings' and make $300 disappear..

Old 11th July 2018, 02:35 PM   #15
Vortex is offline Vortex  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Vortex Dyson Audio Facemelters (cables) :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinahcc20 View Post
On the "appearance" of cables...do you set up your system with the backs of the components facing out into the listening room? That would seem to make source selection and volume adjustments cumbersome. In my system and every other I have used or seen the cables are not visible so their appearance would seem to not be worth spending a lot of money on. I suppose you could configure and island arrangement or mount a mirror behind the component stack to facilitate observation of cable aesthetics.

Hmmm...I sense a whole new category of high end equipment to be mined. CableView! Looking at your beautiful high end cables while listening to your system improves PRAT by up to 7.3%! The CableView Mirror Backplane is available in rack width starting at $1999!!
I'm not doing this madness of course.. good plain copper XLR and that's it, will be fine. But despite this I still can have an opinion on cable color, right ?

Just like when I'm saying I like Tesco's colors better when shopping like Wall Mart's. Makes no sense, but as an opinion and personal taste, it exists. I simply find transparent insulation cool. And of course I won't look for spikes to put my 230V splitter onto, for a more transparent sound

Last edited by Vortex; 11th July 2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11th July 2018, 04:00 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

A cool effect of transparent insulation: The copper inside looks thicker.
A guaranteed great look on speaker cables thanks to the laws of optics.
Old 11th July 2018, 07:06 PM   #17
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Default Dyson Audio Facemelters (cables) 😊

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
I'm not doing this madness Dyson Audio Facemelters (cables) :) of course.. good plain copper XLR and that's it, will be fine. But despite this I still can have an opinion on cable color, right ?
Of course you can. Your aesthetic preferences are not a problem. I am a believer in that you should do what makes you happy... hopefully itís also safe and designed competently.

Youíve been provided with information on Techflex which can accomplish whatever color you desire covering whatever cabling you choose.

However you made other claims which are false and are misleading for others who read this material.

You said his implementation of braided Litz wire was a ďgood thingĒ. Itís not.

You suggested it reflected good engineering practice. It does not.

You asked what we think. And we have responded I believe unanimously that itís deceptive, unscientific and is likely problematic in relationship to alternatives.

You said it looks fancy. Again, fine if you feel this way of course but perhaps it will appear less fancy to you after learning it is a an inferior solution as an audio XLR cable. Usually fancy implies quality or luxury, this is neither.

Quote:
Just like when I'm saying I like Tesco's colors better when shopping like Wall Mart's. Makes no sense, but as an opinion and personal taste, it exists. Dyson Audio Facemelters (cables) :) I simply find transparent insulation cool.
So given the above personally cannot share your enjoyment of the transparent jacket as it is a flaw in the design, and indicates a lack of experience and comprehension on behalf of the creator.

Nonetheless you are welcome to still enjoy it after this knowledge. We canít help you there.

But we can help to prevent deceptive, amoral and pseudoscientific Burroughs marketing cutup from being accepted as a ďgood thingĒ and continuing to prey on unsuspecting consumers under the guise of scientific credibility and technical acumen.

In my view this is predatory, shameful behavior that has seriously detracted from the general credibility and appeal of this hobby.

So, with all respect given, I donít want your comments/ assumptions to be construed as fact by those who come after you. It would be a disservice to those who look here for reliable information.

My wish is for you to find something visually appealing for yourself and Iíve provided you with many options that donít work against your objectives for sound quality. I think it would be a wise goal to start with a sensible solution and then achieve aesthetics rather than the other way around.

Either way are confusing which are the issues of contention.

Itís not like donít all have careers and other things to be doing.... this isnít to pick on you and for old guys to burn up time squabbling away on the Internet. This hobby is rotting from the proliferation in junk science. Itís an altruistic effort with your needs in mind.

We have answered all of your questions, shown understanding for your visual preferences, explained the issues involved, provided alternatives of superior quality at 1/10th the cost, tried to suggest a wide range of aesthetic options to help meet your needs while not being of substandard quality........ What more could you want?

As far as I gather everything youíve asked has been granted in spades.

Please feel free to explore the options provided if you have interest in making something for yourself that meets all of your needs.

Last edited by spaceistheplace; 11th July 2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11th July 2018, 10:26 PM   #18
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Oh dear. You haven't noticed !!
We live in a world where half of it is fooling the other half !!
Old 12th July 2018, 01:37 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I wonder how many fake noses are lurking on DIYaudio to promote and sell snake oil.
Some are pretty obvious, some have more subtle stategies.
This will go on and on, forever, because there is no stop at violating laws of physics.

Let's keep going debunking fakes.
Old 12th July 2018, 01:47 PM   #20
starkeyg is offline starkeyg
diyAudio Member

Hi,

As far as those that are true "believers" in the advertising for cables:

It is their money and we all have been told fools and their money are soon parted. Pretty much true and as long as it is their money, no problem.

Only problem is when they spout stuff trying to get others to jump on board spending far more than what is required. Some have to justify their own habits or feel threatened. Just the way it is.

Dyson Audio Facemelters (cables) :)Hide this!Advertise here!