Potentiometer w/ upward facing pins?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,

I have a very simple question I haven't been able to find the answer to since I don't know what this potentiometer type is called. I have attached a photo which I stubbled upon that had no info with it. Its a panel mount pot with pins that face upwards towards the panel. I'm not looking for this particular size of pot (I'm actually looking for a 9mm version). What is this pin type called??

Thanks!
Photo link doesn't seem to be working so here is a regular link.

BuildYourCNC - 5K Potentiometer Panel Mount

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I have never seen a pot with forward facing pins before and can't seem to find any reference to such an item from the usual suspects.

Not much help I know... other than the fact I can't locate anything at all. Also the material the pins are usually made of would not take kindly to a sharp 90 degree bend (thinking of taking a regular pot and bending the pins)

This type of pot is rather common, I have a number of examples in my stock (and I have seen many more).

attachment.php

This particular one was made by Radiohm in the late seventies or early eighties, and it is a true, fully PCB compatible pin-forward type, unlike your half-assed example which is just an ordinary model that has been tinkered with to look like the real thing.

In the pot datasheet, there is a sheet detailing the various options: terminations, taper, mounting style, rotation angle, pin finish, etc.
You just have to select the combination of options that suits you (if it is available, which is generally not the case for any random combination of options)

Attachments

• PotExample.jpg
    PotExample.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
He specified he wants a 9mm pot.

You have to know pots are almost always made to order for an OEM. SO you specify the size, the shaft, the resistance and taper, bushing or not, mounting brackets or not, and leg orientation. You usually do not see them on teh shelf as stock.

The ones I know are made that way so the pot can be mounted on one side of the board with the shaft poking through the board.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.