Faulty USB Type B 1.0 Port on MIDI Keyboard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I hope I'm posting in the right section of the forum.

I have a friend whose USB type B port needed replacing on his M-Audio Oxygen 61 USB MIDI Controller Keyboard (first generation in silver). We bought a standard USB type B 2.0 port, removed the old one from the circuitboard and put the new one in place but we're not having any luck getting any power to the MIDI controller. If the original port was a USB 1.0 port, is there a chance that this is causing issues? Failing that, are there any other foreseeable issues with this sort of swap job?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi,

Type B USB 1 and USB 2 are pin compatible as far as I know.
Can you post pictures of the installed USB connector, especially the soldering around its pins.
Without seeing the result of the repair it is difficult to tell where lies the actual problem.
What you can also try to do is to measure the supply voltage on the connector pins where they enter the PCB which will tell if it is a connector mating issue or the supply is broken elsewhere on the board.

Regards,
Oleg

USB is USB so mating issues doesn't make sense.
Are You sure the USB cable is working. Try connecting a standard USB cable to a desktop computer.

Let me guess..

You damaged the PCB vias or tracks soldering the connector. Connectors are a pain in the *** to de-solder.

I had a similar issue with a laser controller.

What I did was before soldering the connector, I put a small wire got from a stranded cable in the hole in order to restore the via functionality. Be careful not to let too much wire on the top side (between the PCB and connector) in order not to touch each other, or bend them to the sides. 1-2mm is enough.

There Should be a reverse protecting diode and / or a electrolytic filter supply capacitor after / before the ON-OFF switch. Measure at the switch or at the capacitor and ground if You actually are getting around 5V DC there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.