value capacitors deviate

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

What should be 470nF input capacitors of my headphone amp seem to be 461nF for one channel and 492nF for the other channel. That is a deviation of 1,9% and 4.6%.

I measured the values of the capacitors already soldered on the board but without active components.

Are these errors to be expected because I measured them in the circuit?

And, would this be audible?

Or are these value errors a property of capacitors in general?

Regards,

Cor

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
While measuring in circuit could generate errors, the variation you are seeing is well within normal tolerances which typically could be 10% or even 20% of the marked value.

There should be no audible difference caused by this.

If you have more than 2 of the beforementionned capacitors you could have measured / matched them before soldering them in, otherwise I agree on the tolerences quoted by Mooly. If yiu can hear it, you're in trouble :p
Haha you're probably right.
At first I was afraid I overheated one of the capacitors while soldering it in. It did not go as fast as I would like.
So I thought maybe the value could change because of the prolonged high temperature. And therefor I measured them while in circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.