jupiter copper foil capacitor melting issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to everyone

I am planing to upgrade my Line magnetic 518ia se amp, 845 tube based.
The new caps would be jupiter copper foil,in the signal path.
I had melting issues in the past with the old jupiter beeswax caps in a push pull
kt88 amp.

the lm 518 amp is more hot,than the push pull.
Any experience regarding the melting.
Thanks ahead!
Kende

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Kende,
Welcome to DIYAudio!

There is one factor to recognise. Wax has a low melting point and is highly variable in characteristics. You might be better off using a Teflon or Polypropylene capacitor. They are much better capacitors anyway. Try not to use giant parts either as they are more vulnerable to noise pickup, or radiation.

Best, Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Kende,
Those parts are too large for one, and they aren't as good as the types I mentioned. That and the expense is off the charts!

I would suggest that you relax and use some common sense. The more expensive audiophile parts are typically a lot worse than a "normal" capacitor is. Good industrial parts are typically reasonably priced, some can be expensive. But generally you are better served by these parts. They are also smaller and as a result will pick up less noise, or transmit noise. Think of a capacitor as a big antenna. Within reason, the smaller the capacitor is, the less noise you will have to deal with. That noise could be crosstalk or even feedback from the same circuit. Proximity to the power supply might make it an injection point for hum and buzz.

Take some time and learn about capacitors and other parts, but not from forums and "White papers". Try some electronics industry sources, articles from people in the sciences (Electronics or Physics). That way you can learn the truth and save a lot of money while getting superior results.

-Chris

Hi Kende,
Welcome to DIYAudio!

There is one factor to recognise. Wax has a low melting point and is highly variable in characteristics. You might be better off using a Teflon or Polypropylene capacitor. They are much better capacitors anyway. Try not to use giant parts either as they are more vulnerable to noise pickup, or radiation.

Best, Chris

Yes, real caps haven't used wax, for a reason, for 60 years.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.