120k pot with loudness function replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

my buddy picked up a Sony TA-FB940R amplifier with busted volume pot. We both thought it was a steal hence the purchase but upon looking at the pot itself its a 120k motorised with a loudness function.

after reading loads of forums both of us are out of a solution. I am more experienced and advised to use a normal 3 pin which I know will work but will lose loudness function, I read somewhere else it will lose the tone functions too. Is it possible to replace with 3 pin volume with Alps from Japan (fleebay) and keep the loudness function and possibly tone? I have attached a pic of the manual.

Thank you any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• volumepotsony.jpg
    volumepotsony.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 246
Thanks but the amplifier will go to another family member so looks don't really matter.

I got drawn into the idea of a better volume pot as discussed in many forums. I know I can get 100k pots also 100k motorised pots but this loudness function I have never come across hence the thread.

The knowledge on this forum is second to none! Just hoping on that "special advice" LOL :)

Hi, not much was just pushed in so was slightly bent. When you rotate it there was a slight rubbing on the case itself.

Its not a big deal I know but it just looks so cheap. We like the idea of better parts and have done a few projects with great results!

I remember doing an amplifier a few years back, it was very straight forward swap and the music was a lot smoother with the higher quality volume pot. I think it was alps so was original but the replacement was more expensive! :)

Do you know what the loudness button or tap on a stereo amp does? When you turn down the volume, your ears do not respond as well to the bottom end and the top end. SO to compensate, when listening at lower volume we can turn up the bass tone control some to compensate. That is more or less what the loudness tap is for, as you turn the volume down past that point it emphasizes the bass part some. That is all.

This amp permanently includes it on the volume control, but on MANY amps, the loudness function is on a separate switch on the panel. Many people leave it turned off.

If someone says you would lose tone control, I suspect all they mean is the tone altering loudness effect would no longer happen. It wouldn't disable the entire tone control system.

The loudness control on a pot essentially adds proportionally more bass depending on the volume control setting at lower volumes below the loudness pot tap. i.e. the amount of bass boost added is most at lowest volume setting and decreases as you increase the volume up until the pot wiper passes the tap on the pot's resistance track.

The loudness SWITCH on the other hand adds a fixed amount of bass boost when you turn it on. Nothing "proportional" about it.

I would simply leave the 4th connection (the loudness connection) to the pot disconnected and it should be just fine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.