Looking for good off the shelf power transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. I have had a string of friends and family ask me to build them audio amplifiers. While I have a good stock of james output transformers, I don't have anything for power transformers.

Most of these people really want headphone amps, and I have had issues more than a few hammond transformers. Their 300 series is fine, but their 200 series can be temperamental.

Does anyone know of a brand that has quality and price closer to edcor but something that I can buy off the shelf?

I build my HP amps using Triad VPT230 series transformers (or a 12V to 280V boost module: DC-AC Converter 12V to 110V 200V 220V 280V 150W Inverter Boost Board Transformer | eBay) They are reasonable from Digi-key.

I've heard what you're saying about the 200 series, however I'm using two 278CX models without issue. They can reach 90+ degrees Celsius at full load though.

Most of my newer designs are based on 12V SMPS and HV boost converters these days. Transformers are expensive these days!

Hello all. I have had a string of friends and family ask me to build them audio amplifiers. While I have a good stock of james output transformers, I don't have anything for power transformers.

Most of these people really want headphone amps, and I have had issues more than a few hammond transformers. Their 300 series is fine, but their 200 series can be temperamental.

Does anyone know of a brand that has quality and price closer to edcor but something that I can buy off the shelf?

At least in North America these guys make very good transformers in a wide variety of power and Voltages.

Transformers - Page 1 - AnTek Products Corp

I've only bought a few but I'm very happy with them.

So their plate supply trafos are good? I've used their smaller low voltage ones, which are better than MCM's equivalent units. But I've lately been thinking about a 200 ish watt tube bass head and looking for options. The 400 VA units come in the right voltage, and the price is right to use two.

I finally had a chance to sit down and look through anteks catalog.

I doesn't look like they make a real plate supply transformer. None of them seem to have 6.3v secondary windings, and it doesn't look like any of them are center tapped.

Am I being blind, or is this just the way things are with them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.