DIY RCA cables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are you talking about, the post is still there? I'd like to know the reasoning instead of dismissing it out of hand.

I think there can only be one reason, that being to ensure any effect of the cable is the same in both channels to help maintain image stability

Last edited:
I am still baffled as to why you mentioned cheesy obsolete RCA plugs, when your apparently good quality and modern speakers clearly show 2 sets each of screw down terminals of good quality for bare wire, and with center holes and proper separation for banana plugs, which is again a high quality type of speaker connector.

Why would you even consider anything else?

As of wires, just use reasonably thick copper parallel wire and call it a day.

Leave RCA connectors and shielded wire for the "signal" side of your setup where they belong.

I'm kinda newbie to audio , and some how thought I can connect RCA to my speakers and that its a better way to connect speakers.

Really appreciated your explanations!
Thanks a lot!
:wave2:

What are you talking about, the post is still there? I'd like to know the reasoning instead of dismissing it out of hand.

I think there can only be one reason, that being to ensure any effect of the cable is the same in both channels to help maintain image stability
Of course, non equal length cables have non equal impedances, that is theory.
However, this has no significant effect because it is swamped by the low output impedance of the amplifiers and the high impedance of the speakers.

Many low budget systems use RCA connectors on their speaker cables.
But these are complete dedicated systems. With a control & audio power unit and the speakers have attached speaker cables with RCA connectors.

Some active powered speakers have RCA input jacks but they also have AC power cords.

Many low budget systems use RCA connectors on their speaker cables.
But these are complete dedicated systems. With a control & audio power unit and the speakers have attached speaker cables with RCA connectors.
Those are low power, despite large claimed bogus powers.
Some active powered speakers have RCA input jacks but they also have AC power cords.
These RCA input jacks receive line level signals, don't they ? RCA cables are fine for line level signals.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.