BF244A Drain-Source interchangeability

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Most J-FET's are 100% symmetrical and the D-S markings have little relevance in practice. The late Bob Pease once told me that you identify them by talking to it ;) and saying you are the drain and you are the source. Its always worked for me.

For GP devices, switches, etc, jFets are normally symetrical, but there are some subtleties: even if the chip itself is completely symetrical, the pinout lends it to a particular application: for example, if the gate has the middle position the device is better suited to common-gate applications.
For VHF/UHF or ultra-low leakage devices, the symetry is often already lost at the chip level, because of guardings, metallizations, areas or order of respective terminals, etc.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Most J-FET's are 100% symmetrical and the D-S markings have little relevance in practice. The late Bob Pease once told me that you identify them by talking to it ;) and saying you are the drain and you are the source. Its always worked for me.

Sounds like imprinting for the first time.
What if you later take it out to different circuit and you accidentaly flip it.
Will it remember and refuse to work?
:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.