Replace one or both coupling caps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's been a while since I've seen one of tnose amps. Most issues were 300B related, but there was the odd one that had a problem not related to tubes. Generally pretty reliable. Despite the rats nest of wiring, Cary usually does a good job of soldering and assembly. It looks bad, but is quite solid.
It sounds like you may have gotten the proverbial built on Sunday unit.
To keep some audiophile mojo, replace the caps with Mundorf, or Clarity caps. Either will work fine and not break the bank.
FYI - I have seen those Jensen caps fail in a number of brands of amps from Cary, to BAT, to you name it.
If I thought they were that good, I might think about contacting Jensen, but quite frankly I have never liked them. So go with something else.

It's been a while since I've seen one of tnose amps. Most issues were 300B related, but there was the odd one that had a problem not related to tubes. Generally pretty reliable. Despite the rats nest of wiring, Cary usually does a good job of soldering and assembly. It looks bad, but is quite solid.
It sounds like you may have gotten the proverbial built on Sunday unit.
To keep some audiophile mojo, replace the caps with Mundorf, or Clarity caps. Either will work fine and not break the bank.
FYI - I have seen those Jensen caps fail in a number of brands of amps from Cary, to BAT, to you name it.
If I thought they were that good, I might think about contacting Jensen, but quite frankly I have never liked them. So go with something else.

I agree, I had the poor fortune to get the "built on Sunday" unit. Legalities notwithstanding, I'm disappointed that Cary won't stand by it. They know the truth as well as I do. It's childish, as when we become men we put aside childish things. There are other manufacturers who give 20-year warranties, and still others that stand by their products long after their obligation expires. Sometimes for the 2nd and 3rd owners, no questions asked. This is where you want to be. Not creeping around in the bushes.

Well, like I said, don't get me started on audio problems. I'll go on all night.

I did just purchase 4 new Mundorf caps. I've got too much invested in this Cary to toss it in the dustbin.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.