Budget audiophile speaker cables

What about using cheap coaxial cable? Is coaxial geometry a bad idea for speaker load engineering?

There's old pure copper coax surplus around with loads of copper eg 13AWG giving low resistance and less then a dollar a foot. It will be dam stiff and bit of a hassle to connect.

s-l400.jpg

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Specs:
Conductor DCR: 1.9 Ohm/1000ft
Shield DCR: 1.5 Ohm/1000ft
Nominal Characteristic Impedance: 50 Ohm
Inductance: 0.08µH/ft Nominal
Capacitance: 29.5 pF/ft Nominal
Velocity : 65% Nominal
Delay: 1.4 ns/ft Nominal

Last edited:
Just use thick copper wire. No need for fancy stuff.

We don't use fancy wire created by elves in the moonlight in professional studios. The production gear is hooked up with copper, the only difference is we use decent connectors so it can withstand a lot of plugging/unplugging.

Besides, the internal wiring of speakers also uses standard copper cabling, unless you're buying woo speakers made to impress people with their price.

My thoughts exactly. I am not aware of any professional studios here in Music City using any cabling that costs thousands of dollars per meter. Mogami, Canare, Belden, Gotham, Sommer, etc is what you see used.
How does a recording made with these studio cables become magically transformed, when a 10,000usd interconnect set of cables are used or a 5000usd AC power cable is connected in the home audio system.
Wow. Car salesmen have nothing on the so called high end audio sales!!

What does the cross connecting do?

I've got about 200' of RG59 coaxial cable. I could easily give this a go.

Cross connecting I just using two runs of coax to one speaker. But instead of simply paralling them, sever them halfway, then reconnect them but shield to core and core to shield.

All it does is retain the same capacitance and resistance, but adds some inductance.

I had calculated the effective inductance for Jon years ago, he eventually confirmed my analysis.

But, it's nothing magic.

Jn
Hmm, been about 15 years, I think I described it correctly..

Last edited:
Cross connecting I just using two runs of coax to one speaker. But instead of simply paralling them, sever them halfway, then reconnect them but shield to core and core to shield.

All it does is retain the same capacitance and resistance, but adds some inductance.

I had calculated the effective inductance for Jon years ago, he eventually confirmed my analysis.

But, it's nothing magic.

No, I know how to do it, but I just don't understand what it does, in actuality. I mean, instead of crossing the cables, couldn't you just as easily strip back the plastic insulator, like 1-2" from each end of a single run, and solder the shielding to the conductor? Is there a function to the crossing?

My thoughts exactly. I am not aware of any professional studios here in Music City using any cabling that costs thousands of dollars per meter. Mogami, Canare, Belden, Gotham, Sommer, etc is what you see used.
How does a recording made with these studio cables become magically transformed, when a 10,000usd interconnect set of cables are used or a 5000usd AC power cable is connected in the home audio system.
Wow. Car salesmen have nothing on the so called high end audio sales!!

Belden cable, Canare connectors, job done :)

If you don't want to make cables yourself - go to Blue Jeans.

Anecdote: 15 years ago I needed 20m component cable (video) for 1080p to hook up my video beamer. People on internet fora said I'd need ridiculously expensive cables for that length and resolution.
I talked to Blue Jeans, they guaranteed(!) me their cable would work perfectly, made me a custom cable to length, shipped it to Europe.
Still much more affordable than anything I could buy here (guaranteed to work), and it worked perfectly - no signal degradation whatsoever, perfect picture.

These guys make quality cables without the audiophile/videophile bullshi*, and they will stand by them - proper return policy if you're not happy with them.

Speaker Cable at Blue Jeans Cable

Last edited: