Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Budget audiophile speaker cables
Budget audiophile speaker cables
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2018, 12:21 AM   #211
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
To repeat myself, the designer would have already taken this into account. You are then adding extra resistance which he did not take into account.
Most 'consumer' speakers are supplied with fig8 flex with less copper than the coax.

Quote:
There is no need to terminate both ends.
In practice I find it is indeed beneficial.

Quote:
I cannot comment on what you think you hear.
I know what I hear, even if you do not.

Quote:
No, I meant Zobel network. It is this which swamps any capacitive load imposed by an unterminated cable. An output inductor is another method for achieving a similar goal.
Uh huh, so how does a shunt RC Zobel 'swamp cable capacitance' ?.

Quote:
Yes, and possibly more successful than braiding - although perhaps not quite as pretty.
Who who cares about 'pretty'.....coax routes perfectly well and is inconspicuous, not so for so many so called 'audiophile' cables.

Dan.
Old 3rd July 2018, 09:52 AM   #212
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom
Most 'consumer' speakers are supplied with fig8 flex with less copper than the coax.
You can assume that such speakers make no attempt at faithful sound reproduction so are outside the scope of this discussion.

Quote:
Uh huh, so how does a shunt RC Zobel 'swamp cable capacitance' ?.
By imposing a low resistance in parallel with the cable capacitance. This ensures that the phase of the load cannot stray too far from 'in phase' (i.e. resistive) at least in the frequency range of interest (typically 100kHz to a few MHz).
Old 3rd July 2018, 06:41 PM   #213
mchambin is offline mchambin  France
diyAudio Member

With best electrolytic capacitors as discussed in a neighbor thread, serially hooked to coax speaker cables at both ends, no doubt you will reach nirvana.
Old 3rd July 2018, 10:11 PM   #214
Pygmy is offline Pygmy  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

So eh, as this is still "budget audiophile".. I have to say I really am enjoying reading these discussions, but I still think my 42 year old ears won't be able to spot the difference between cables with and without certain pigment added ;-)

A funny side story - I was on holiday with my kids, my brother and his kids, and my parents in France 2 years ago, and at one point my brother commented on the really loud noise the crickets were making. (It really was deafening)
To which my parents replied "what noise?"...

To them it was perfectly quiet there :-)

Age really is a very important factor - do find out the age of the people you're discussing audio with :-)

Last edited by Pygmy; 3rd July 2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 4th July 2018, 03:52 PM   #215
tapestryofsound is offline tapestryofsound  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
The only things in a cable that can affect sound are resistance, inductance and capacitance.
Resistance will reduce the sound level depending on just how much resistance and length of cable there is.
Inductance will reduce top end.
Capacitance will reduce top end.

I just use 13 amp stranded mains cable which is good at all three and have had no problems in 40 years.
Thank you for that Nigel, I think I will have a crack at using mains cable on my next build.

On my last build, I used automobile stranded loom wire, because like me, it was cheap. Made a pair of 4 strand braids - 2 pos - 2 neg, and together with fit for purpose banana plugs, ended up with two 10ft lengths for 20 total. That's 1 per ft. I have nothing to compare it to, but it seemed to work very well as speaker cable.

tapestryofsound

Budget audiophile speaker cablesHide this!Advertise here!