Teflon silver coated wire - where to use, what size, and ratings?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So what is the preferred way to strip Teflon coated wire? The few times I have worked with it was a pain in the ***.
Thanks

BillWojo
I just use the miller strippers now sold by Dorman at the auto supply. <$10. Takes some practice to not nick the wire - but doable. Go around 90 deg first, just squeezing makes 4 cuts, not one. I grip the wire over the insulation with pliers when pulling the strip off, else often the long piece strips off instead of the short piece.
Most of what I use in chassis is solid core 24-28 awg so you've either cut the wire, or not. Even throwing away a few mis-strips, teflon saves me time from not having to replace the bottom wire of 6 on the terminal if I happen to burn PVC insulation off with the iron.

I found a used Teledyne TW-1 on eBay about ten years ago for $65. They are rather pricey new, $294 from the vendor below. You may find them as surplus items.

Teledyne TW-1 StripAll Standard Thermal Wire Stripper Check out the video and PDF.

The TW-1 will strip any size from 38 to 10 AWG and small diameter coaxial cable. It actually melts the teflon and leaves a nice smooth cut without damaging the strands. We used these to meet NASA assembly specs for spacecraft.

I had trouble finding teflon 10 pf caps for the Leach amplifier, I used RG216 small diameter teflon coax. It's about 20 pf per foot, I cut a 6.5" length, using the thermal stripper I stripped 0.5" of outer insulation and 0.375" of inner insulation. I coiled it into a 0.75" diameter loop with a wire tie and replaced the loop bandwidth 10pf Mica capacitor which has high DA and it was an audible improvement, small change but noticeable on good speakers.

Gerold

More strands, less fatigue

I would stay away from using it in a speaker. This type of wire cannot stand movement without strands starting to break right at the solder connection.
Solid core will not have this issue

Actually, I think it’s exactly the opposite. A wire with a large number of finer strands handles mechanical stress and vibration better than a solid core or a wire with fewer, thicker strands having the same gauge.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/656334.pdf

“There appears to be a definite advantage to a large number of fine strands”

Stranded Wire and Solid Wire

“solid wire is not so resistant to vibration and repetitive movement compared to stranded wire”

You can feel the difference in your hands. Finer stranded wires are more flexible than solid core of the same gauge. That flexibility is from the individual strands being able to move and slide, relieving stress. If you bend both types around the same radius, that bend is much more gradual to the finer strands (a smaller percentage of the strands’ diameter). To the solid core, bends create fatigue from compression and tension cycles that create stress fractures. The wire may not come apart but there can be hidden fractures and increasing resistance with repetitive motion.

Lots of fine strands in teflon jacket will be very weak as teflon is crystalline at room temperature and very hard, no strain relief to speak of at the interface between jacket and bare strands.

Solid core in teflon is more robust than this just by being stiffer, and multistrand in soft insulation is even more robust by being able to flex without stress concentration.

Basically if nothing exceeds its fatigue limit all is good, otherwise there will be fatigue over time - concentrating stress allows smaller movements to produce fatigue at the point of concentration, stiffening the system reduces the movement for given force which can also protect (ie just use thicker wire).

Most mil spec wire is crimped and the minute you solder this connection, you don’t know how much wicking travels up the wire beyond the connector and how it stops across the core section.
Flexing at this point will put unequal stress on fine strands over others at different levels and will start to break
The heat from soldering has now also weakened the fine strands just beyond where the solder ended

With crimping only you now have no heat involved and the crimping puts an equal stress across the core section
Crimping is more consistant and offers repeatability over many connections in comparison

The Porsche 917 learned the hard way with soldered connections not that stranded wire is more flexible and durable than solid wire, its the interface connection that takes the hit and how you deal with it

PTFE (Teflon) is only semi-crystalline, with only about a third of the molecules partially aligned. That means little here. It is not crystalline in the usual sense of being jagged or sharp. PTFE has one of the lowest coefficients of friction of any material. So it’s “slippery”, allowing internal strands to slide more easily. Anyway, we’re comparing the hypothetical case of PTFE-insulated solid wire versus PTFE-insulated stranded.

Of course the greatest stresses do occur on the terminated ends in both cases. That is where fatigue and eventual breakage will occur. For the same amount of flexure, the tiny strands see less relative stress, while the stiffer solid core endures more. Don’t mistake the stiffness of solid core as “strength”. It’s actually a weakness. For the same amount of flexure, more work (“work” here in the physics sense) has to be expended into overcoming that stiffness. The result is more cold work hardening in the solid core. This results in greater brittleness and formation of stress fractures. If you run both kinds of wire under the same vibration environment for years until hard failure, the solid core would break first. You might lose a strand or two in the multi strand wire but there still might be 95% conductivity.

Take it from a retired aerospace engineer: It is common practice to use highly-stranded PTFE wire in high-vibration environments. Low/coarse stranding or solid core (of the same gauge) would not be allowed in these critical cases, because they will fatigue sooner. M16878 is the standard hookup wire. It is readily available to us hobbyists.

Ever wonder why the Golden Gate Bridge uses multi-stranded support cables?

If you run both kinds of wire under the same vibration environment for years until hard failure, the solid core would break first. You might lose a strand or two in the multi strand wire but there still might be 95% conductivity

An engineer I worked with at Digital told me he did the actual vibration testing between a crimped and soldered connection; crimped outlasting the soldered every time.

Soldering is just good for fixing and the vibration test shows that even there its suboptimal solution. Its just easy and cheap. Solder is a very bad conductor, thats why I always wrap and after that, then solder to fix this joint. Only soldering brings bad sound. This couldn't be auditioned with only one joint, but gear has hundreds of them and the sum is what is audible.
Btw, I know at least one reputed manufacturer who offers TFE cable as speaker cables.
Won't tell which it is, but the cable is a mixture of PVC and TFE insulator.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.