Filter component quality - do expensive coils and capacitors matter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you're not relying on the speaker designer to integrate drivers and crossover parts and enclosure to provide a finished and tested product, then you are effectively on a budget path. Does your budget go to testing the outcome in some objective manner, or are you just going to fit parts and enjoy?

You could of course bypass all the nuances of passive crossover parts by using electronic crossovers and some software to take on the balancing act yourself.

I think I might not have been clear enough phrasing my original question.
I'm not talking about changing the actual values for the components, I'm talking about f.e. the difference between a 3 euro capacitor and a 14 euro capacitor that have the same voltage and Uf specs.

Filters/crossovers can be built using parts having wildly different costs, so my question related to whether it matters to invest in more expensive versions of the same specced components for speakers that cost 300-400 euros a piece.

Last edited:
Pygmy,
How are you going to test the difference between a $xxx inductor that may saturate under different conditions, or have a different field interaction with nearby parts, or have a different ESR and SRF than the part that the original speaker designer used for testing? Just qualitative testing, or just relying on part specifications (if you have simple or even detailed part specifications)?

You are obviously at the pointy end of performance using expensive drivers, so just wondering how 'pointy' you want to go with confirming you end up with as good a speaker as was originally designed and tested.

Last edited:
As a general rule in audio, there is little correlation between component price and component electrical quality. This is because some people have found that it is surprisingly easy to take money off other people simply by telling a good story - you can even boost sales by increasing the price. About the only exception is wound components, where a better inductor/transformer may be unavoidably more expensive - but even then higher price does not necessarily guarantee better performance. For a speaker crossover the best components to use are the ones used by the original designer; any 'upgrade' may move you away from the designer's intentions.

When discussing caps in terms like this ("dark"), how do these properties show up in graphs / measurements?

What should I be looking for / what should I look out for?

If you ask someone who's profession is sound ( an audio engineer or a musician) dark means a lack of high freqs. If you ask a subjectivist here on DIY audio they can't tell you. So how can it mean anything to anyone else, even another subjectivist. They live in there own little worlds.

I'm not trying to hijack a thread here but can anyone suggest a US based source for crossover components. Is there one place that is known to carry most everything? It seems like I have to source the components I need from more than one place to get what I need. That means additional freight for each order.

As a general rule in audio, there is little correlation between component price and component electrical quality. This is because some people have found that it is surprisingly easy to take money off other people simply by telling a good story - you can even boost sales by increasing the price. About the only exception is wound components, where a better inductor/transformer may be unavoidably more expensive - but even then higher price does not necessarily guarantee better performance. For a speaker crossover the best components to use are the ones used by the original designer; any 'upgrade' may move you away from the designer's intentions.

That's exactly what I'm wondering - is there any difference between a "standard" 14 euro coil specced 15uf 0.37ohm, and a 25 euro coil by a big audiograde brand also specced 15uf 0.37ohm?
And what if the latter used thicker wire, like 1.4mm instead of 1.2mm?

And if another coil specs 15uf but *less* than 0.37ohm, would that be better, or would it in fact change the whole equation and thus performance?

Last edited:
The difference between 14 euro and 25 euro is 11 euro. For the extra money you get a better story and a warm glow inside when you tell your friends how much you paid.

Thicker wire but the same resistance means more turns, which may mean different core. Be aware that there is more to coils than inductance and DC resistance.

Smaller coil resistance may or may not be an advantage. It all depends on what the original designer intended.

11 euros isn't much, of course. But when applied to *all* parts of the crossover network, it can mean spending 60 euros or 170 euros per speaker for the crossover / filter. That is quite a difference - building speakers costing 300 euros a piece turns into 410 euros - a 200 Euro price difference for the pair..
And for 200 euros more, you could have gone for a more expensive kit - with standard components.. :)
Which begs the question - cheaper kit with expensive crossover, or more expensive kit with standard crossover components?

Last edited:
big market :D:D only for some....:p

Attachments

• 2018-05-03_182304.jpg
    2018-05-03_182304.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 192
In another thread I just saw these crossovers:

Kef Q900
http://maty.galeon.com/WP-imagenes/hard/KEF-Q900-crossover.jpg

Kef Q750
http://maty.galeon.com/WP-imagenes/hard/KEF-Q750-crossover.jpg

Kef LS50
http://maty.galeon.com/WP-imagenes/hard/KEF-LS50-crossover.jpg

Kef R100c
http://maty.galeon.com/WP-imagenes/hard/KEF-R600c-crossover.jpg

Those components look pretty shoddy to me (small awg inductors, iron core, electrolytic cap), yet everyone raves about the LS50.

Is Kef doing their designs injustice be using parts like these and can their speakers be improved by rebuilding the crossovers with 'decent' parts?

Or is this proof the quality of the components doesn't really matter all that much, since everyone seems to like the sound of these speakers?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.