Capacitor types - experts please help rank - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2004, 05:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Capacitor types - experts please help rank

I am interested in your ranking of film capacitor types.

Film and foil, metalized film, dielectric type (mylar, polyester, etc.) Best to worst.

You know the drill. This will be valuable info. for all.
Old 13th April 2004, 05:35 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

do a search, already covered in some detail, sreten.
Old 13th April 2004, 05:55 PM   #3
claudio is offline claudio  Italy
diyAudio Member

I suggest: http://www.capacitors.com/picking_ca...rs/pickcap.htm

Claudio
Old 14th April 2004, 08:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

In my experience, and all other things being equal, capacitor ranking generally follows the dielectric constant of the dielectric: the lower the DC, the better the cap. With a lower dielectric constant comes lower dielectric absorption and related losses. Teflon and certain types of oil, wax and paper (DC ~ 2) are head-runners, therefore, as capacitor dielectrics, followed by polystyrene (2.2) and polypropylene (2.3), mylar (3.1) being somewhat further down the list. Air, of course, is the best dielectric (1.0). The better Nordost cables sound so good because they achieve a very low dielectric constant in their insulating material (1.3), combining teflon and air in a manner allowing very little contact between cable and teflon, rendering a mostly air dielectric. Polyethylene (2.25) is also quite good (Jena cables, I believe, are insulated with this substance).

The problem with low dielectric constant is a larger capacitor is required for a given capacitance. Manufacturers therefore may prefer a mylar capacitor over an electrically better performing cap simply due to size and $$ considerations.
Old 16th April 2004, 03:41 AM   #5
Yank is offline Yank  United States
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Capacitors..

It all depends on what you want to accomplish.

Bob Carver explains how he uses capacitors on his website. No one person out there knows more than he.

www.sunfire.com
Old 16th April 2004, 05:03 AM   #6
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
What's the application? In cetain applications Teflon film caps are unbeatable. But they don't make very good power supply filters.

If you are talking about dc-blocking caps in a signal path, I guess I'd say Teflon (but can't get large ones), Polypropylene film, Metallized polypropylene, Polyester, then the rest. Polypropylene film are staggeringly popular coupling caps in diy audiophile gear.
Old 16th April 2004, 05:33 AM   #7
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

"Bob Carver explains how he uses capacitors on his website. No one person out there knows more than he."

I looked in the white papers and didn't see anything on the topic. Where should I be looking?
Old 16th April 2004, 08:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
looked in the white papers and didn't see anything on the topic. Where should I be looking?
There is a short paragraph about caps in his amp essays. You are, however, excused for missing it as the essay makes such a hilarious reading that one can be easily distracted. It's even funnier if you've ever listened to a Carver amp.
Old 16th April 2004, 03:35 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

In my experience, teflon caps make fantastic power supply bypass caps. Their effect on distortion is measurable.
Old 16th April 2004, 03:42 PM   #10
tom1356 is offline tom1356  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Capacitors..

Quote:
Originally posted by Yank
It all depends on what you want to accomplish.

Bob Carver explains how he uses capacitors on his website. No one person out there knows more than he.

www.sunfire.com
He should start putting some of that knowledge to use in amp designs.. I wonder why hes been saving it.

Hide this!Advertise here!