6C33C PCB socket?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I wouldn't simply because of the filament pin temperatures, which I would expect to burn the board quite quickly.

Many years ago I designed and built a disastrously bad OTL amp based on 6C33s - six per channel.. The filament pins as I recall got to at least 300 degrees F over extended operation without cooling fans. (which I added) The current is quite high and you'd probably need 4 oz copper to do it.

The sockets may or may not prove durable in long term use so easy replacement is a must.

Or maybe...place all of the pins except the filament pins in the PCB. Have the filament pins dangle within a drilled out hole in the PCB where you can manually solder the filament wire into. Seems pretty reasonable.
Still, is there any method of connecting the rest of the pins to the pcb in a more elegant fashion than just using a not-meant-for-pcb ceramic socket as a pseudo pcb socket?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Have a look at the Jakeband (Italian) sockets, they might be more suitable for your proposal, but definitely do as you propose with the filaments.

Personally I would still be concerned about overheating the PCB, these tubes run hot and the PCB will be in close proximity.

When I made the comment about the 6 tube OTL I mentioned the pins on the individual tubes specifically - this is where you will have problems even with just two tubes.

8F0022A0-D1D7-4FA6-827C-B053505EE6A7.jpeg
I have yet to get around finishing this project,

There will be a 6” fan to pressurize the chassis internals so it exits around the tubes and power transformers for the 6c33
The sockets are held of by Teflon washers so air goes all around the ceramic bases
Other than that, regular scheduled replacement of the sockets since their cheap enough is best.
A pcb won,t cut it I believe.

Regards
David

View attachment 674996
I have yet to get around finishing this project,

There will be a 6” fan to pressurize the chassis internals so it exits around the tubes and power transformers for the 6c33
The sockets are held of by Teflon washers so air goes all around the ceramic bases
Other than that, regular scheduled replacement of the sockets since their cheap enough is best.
A pcb won,t cut it I believe.

Regards
David

I use kind of chimney effect to cool the tube I uses spacer between the socket and the chassie the size of the spacer is 10mm och 1/4 in, it helps.

Anders

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.