Best low noise rectifier diode in a DO-41 package

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a good (best) low noise rectifier diode for power supplies in a DO-41 package. These would be used in a bridge rectifier. I looked at the standard 1N4007, UF4007, schottky diodes, etc. The requirement is min. 100V, 1-2A. The AC source is the standard transformer @ 50 - 60 Hz. Which diode do you like the most? Lowest switching noise?

Yes, there are a lot of DO-41 diodes. What I'm looking for is the ones, which exhibit the lowest switching artifact/noise when turning on and off. That's why I mentioned the ultrafast (UF4007), the Schottky (STPS2H100RL), the glass passivated (HER151G-T), or anything else. Of course, I'm open to use a snubber. I'd like anyone's input on this, who tried some of these and have sensible conclusions. The circuit downstream can be anything; a 3 pin regulator and a preamp for example.

Last edited:
Why resolve issues while we can exclude them?

My point exactly. That's why I started the thread.

I read the Quasimodo thread. Very informative, but I wasn't planning on building the jig to measure the artifacts. Just install some good rectifiers and done.

Although the HER158G is not a Schottky, it has ultrafast recovery time Trr = 50nS (typ). I also looked at the MUR220G, which is about twice as fast Trr/Tfr = 25nS (typ). Would this be a better option?

As for the Schottky diodes, I looked at both SB2H100 (Vishay) and STPS2H100RL (STMicro). The latter has much less reverse current. Are any of these better options?

hmmm, you missed some key points in that thread, then.
carry on ...

oh, alright, another tidbit ...
mark also wrote an article for Linear Audio magazine where he actually measured a bunch of rectifiers and "ranked" them.
if you don't want to purchase the Linear Audio article, he mentions some of the key findings on this sight somewhere.
it's good reading, too.

good luck!

mlloyd1

edit: hearinginspace, i guess we were typing at almost the same time!

Just install some good rectifiers and done.
I think you are missing the point as to why a fast diode would be all that is needed.

The noise that you are trying to brickwall by just focusing on diodes is dependent on the power transformer (especially leakage inductance of the related windings), and the peak level and pulse-width of the current you are forcing the diode to commutate, and layout of transformer, wiring and parts that could leak noise. Are you aiming to manage those issues as well, or just be done by diode choice?

Do you know what peak current and conduction period is required from the diode, and how it will be cooled, or are you ok to just be done by 1-2A as a requirement?

A decent snubber arrangement will be much better than super expensive diodes, all while using the cheap diodes from what I’ve heard.
Kind of like having the very best super energy absorbing insoles in your shoes when you could have a parachute instead, while jumping from a plane.
I use polystyrene caps when I do that, works great. I wish I could get back all those hours spent comparing diode data sheets.

We're not talking about expensive diodes here. The proper schottky won't break the bank. And it does eliminate the need to have a complete model of the circuit (or a way to measure ringing potentially at UHF). If the transformer hasn't been chosen yet there may not be a complete model. Remove the resonance, or the engine that drives it, whichever is actually easier - at the moment. You wanna rectify 200 volts at 15 amps with a peak of 50, the answer may be different from 50 volts at a few hundred mA.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.