Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

ALPS Motorized Volume Pot- Repair (VTL 5.5 Preamp)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2018, 07:02 PM   #11
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arniespin View Post
Very encouraging! Thank You Mooly!
Now I have a plan of action. Iíll pick up some freezer spray and begin testing this weekend. Will report back soon.
Freezer spray in the UK has become horrendously expensive as it is (or used to be) R134a refridgerant, the same stuff used in air con systems and freezers etc.

The cheap air dusters from the likes of Poundland work well as a freezer but are in fact butane gas. Invert the can to use as freezer... and don't spray on high voltage equipment
Old 5th April 2018, 07:15 PM   #12
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

So did Mother, denying that she spilt her tea in it, I did DNA analysis (NOT), it was Tetley's tea :-)
I will try the credit card trick, instead of my screwdriver, we used that trick to get into my locked out of house once :-)

take care
Rick
Old 5th April 2018, 07:21 PM   #13
diyAudio Moderator

LOL well being Tetleys makes all the difference.
Old 21st April 2018, 07:14 PM   #14
Arniespin is offline Arniespin
diyAudio Member

Hey guys, just wanted to update... I seem to have finally worked this out. It was really frustrating because after Iíd get the unit unplugged and open on the workbench, I couldnít seem to get it to fail. After pulling the little PC board and reflowing all the solder and cleaning all the wire clips, it worked for a few days but then the problem was back. Pulling it apart for the third time, I decided to hit the area with a hairdryer and sure enough I got the volume control to cut out. I was still the getting the 5v at the bridge but nothing at the pot, so I jumpered the little wires that connect the PC board to the pot and Bingo!... she came back to life. Itís been working fine for the past week, so Iím fairly sure that was the culprit.

Thanks again for all of your help!
Old 22nd April 2018, 07:17 AM   #15
diyAudio Moderator

Well done intermittent faults like that can be very frustrating.

ALPS Motorized Volume Pot- Repair (VTL 5.5 Preamp)Hide this!Advertise here!