capacitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In order to repair a vintage (1940's) slot machine which looks more like a huge cabinet, I need to replace 4 capacitors
All have the same values.
They are 100 uF / 400 volts
They feel like they were made of rolled carton, and they are yellow colored and are axial. Their size is 2" long and 5/8" in diameter.

Anyone knows where I can find caps with same value AND axial !

All I can find are radial types and I really want to go with the same look, beside teh construction (the caps are held with a metal spring clamp asks for an axial type.
The caps that are in the machine right now are most likely the originals. When I removed one out of it's clamp, one side of the metal wire fell out of the paper capacitor just like that....

I also want to put in 4 new resistors, brown colored, ceramic type.
They have a value written on it '100' I supose this is 100 Ohm, but how do I know how many watts these are? the size is about 1 1/2 " and about 1/4 " in diameter and they are hollow, inside they are white colored.

Thanks for your help guys!!!!!

Jean-Pierre

thanks

I would think so to, but.......

I measured the R value of these ceramic resistors (I did not disconnect them from any wiring they had on them, they have lips on the side instead of leads at the end..) and I measured (4 different readings from 4 different res.) between 10.4 and 11.9 Ohm,
and yes it has 100 marked and my dmm has a new battery in it, and I even went out of my way to connect it to other resistors and a pot meter just to be sure that it had no error in it. I know, it was and still is very confusing. I could not see the other writing on it because it is surrounded by all kind of mechanical stuff however I think that the other 1 marking (in italic) is the brand/factory who made these resistors

that's the reason I want to change them, or should I disregard the value written on it and use 10 ohm ???? or should I not change them at all or should I , just to be sure, de solder a resistor and measure it .

J-P

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, my opinion is that the silver knobs you are getting will look very fine when installed in the correct context. I think you will be thrilled.

The problem is that they don't incorporate a lot of knobby details that someone ordering would be curious about if he wanted some different options ie: gouges cut in the sides, knurling, skirt recess under, indicator slot, slick smooth finish. Tarun had included a couple of smaller knobs for me to send to Peter which incorporate all of these features!!! Maybe not as soulful, but show that Uncle Henry can produce features and quality as good as any! I am going to beg Peter to post a photo when he gets them. I tried to photo them, but they are black, and my digicam is old, and they just came out as blobs!
Maybe your friends will be able to check out the photos.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.