Help, light corrosion on PC board - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2004, 05:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to eRiCdWoNg
Default Help, light corrosion on PC board

Alright I got some components that have probably gotten wet before. Some of them are car audio components and another is a mixer board. Anyway I'm having trouble with the car audio EQ/crossover unit (audio control EQX series II). Every once in a while there will be a loud buzz that goes thru the woofers and right channel. I took the unit apart and found theres light corrosion on the circuit board. Theres nothing thats badly corroded, just some light surface corosion. I believe this corrosion is why theres some funny noises coming through. Heres a pic. Is there anything I can do about this?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th April 2004, 03:52 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up flux remover

Hi

A good flux remover should do the trick, and some wooden cotton tipped cleaning sticks. Parts Express has what you need:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=341-324

In a pinch you could try isopropyl alcohol 90-94% the kind used for injections etc. Not the rubbing alcohol stuff! Rat Shack sells the cleaning sticks. Just be sure the board is COMPLETELY DRY before powering up! Also don't drown the board in alcohol! You don't want to get alcohol soaking/wicking into the electrolytic capacitors. Remember alcohol is VERY flammable!

Wayne
Old 12th April 2004, 05:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply. I was also thinking what about other solvents such as denatured alcohol, acetone or lacquer thinner? I have all 3 of those at my disposal now, but no isopropyl. Do you think cleaning off the crud on the circuit board will fix my problem? Thanks.
Old 12th April 2004, 07:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thumbs down acetone!

Quote:
I was also thinking what about other solvents such as denatured alcohol, acetone or lacquer thinner?
NO!
None of the above is safe to use on plastics. Especialy acetone! That stuff dissolves plastic! Isopropyl alcohol is available at any drug store, eg Rite Aid, Wal-Mart etc. for under a dollar. Just make sure it's the 90% to 94% stuff. Not rubbing alcohol which is 70% or less and contains glycerin.

Quote:
Do you think cleaning off the crud on the circuit board will fix my problem?
Well can't say fer sure just by looking at your pix. It looks like it's had something spilled on it. That loud buzz could be caused by a bad soldier joint, intermittent ground, bad switch-control or any number of things.

Cheers
Wayne
Old 18th April 2004, 03:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I cleaned it up, so far so good, no funny noises. That might have done the trick, yay!

However I have another problem, on my 2nd unit one of the RCA connections is loose. I know which one it is, I tried to resolder it but it didnt help anything. I may try to remove it altogether then reinstall.

Hide this!Advertise here!