My DIY speakers all sound kind of muffled

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, as this trend of DIY speakers with those tda7492 and tpa3116 amp boards is growing, I gave it a shot and started building some speakers. I built a small one with this drivers (AIYIMA 1pcs 1.5 inch full range 4ohm 10W 40mm Fever Bluetooth wifi speaker strong neodymium loudspeaker-in Portable Speakers from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group to clipboard) and this 2*5w amp ( Bluetooth Power Amplifier Module 4.0 Audio Receiver CSR8645 APTX Dual 5W Speaker Audio Amplifier Lossless Band Talk Function-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group to clipboard), but in the end, it all sounded muffled, than I build a bigger box, and bought another pair of the same drivers and used this amp (2 X 8 Watt Class D Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Amplifier Board - Tsa2110a | eBay), but I'm the end, it also sounded muffled. The design was a sealed box with a passive radiator, without any foam or stuffing inside.
I thought it was due to the drivers so I bought different bigger drivers
I build a box with the front panel of this size 33cm*12cm. I used a 25w 7492p amp and tried it with the box closed and with the back panel with a little gap and in both ways, it sound muffled... What am I doing wrong??? Is it the drivers? The design? The amp?? The lack of stuffing? Every speaker is sounding a bit muffled and distant like the music is coming from inside a box.. really weird

1. I think you should use a completely different driver that is a better known performer. This 1.5" has no chance of achieving anything close to a "fullrange" response IMO and will probably buckle at SPL over 75dB with anything below 500Hz. I'm not certain what is available where you are, but here is a short list of popular and affordable drivers you might want to look at.

- Tymphany TC9FD18-08
- Faital Pro 4FE32 or 3FE22
- Tang Band has lots of 3"-4" models for a modest price, as well as pricier ones
- Fostex is a bit costlier than some of the above, but makes good units
- Mark Audio has a wide range of drivers that are fairly popular
- there are lots more and I can't list it all

2. The enclosure with passive radiator: the driver's link shows no parameter, so I assume there was not much calculation or simulation going on for the tuned passive radiator. This could cause it to have a completely inappropriate tuning frequency into the lower midrange and give an impression of muffling the sound. Just for fun, remove the PR and try a sealed box no larger than 1 liter with some stuffing inside just to see if things improve. Vented (PR is vented) enclosures are for bass/mid-bass drivers and yours probably hardly even qualifies as a midrange.

3. Forum members could probably advise you on a suitable build with a given driver (or recommend one) if you give us a bit more info about your goals for this speaker.

4. I'm not familiar with the amplifier boards you are using, but note that the 8W power figure is quoted for a 4 Ohm load (which you are using) and will be half that for 8 Ohm, not to mention at a THD figure of 10%, so you'll have a bit less power if wanting to stay below a more reasonable 1%.

I can vouch for the quality of the Mark Audio drivers that I've heard. I have the CHR-70.3's and the Alpair 7.3's (in two sets of bookshelf size cabinets that I banged together from plywood). I love the sound they produce. I have added a powered subwoofer to handle the lower frequencies.

Basically, you need to start with a proven, quality driver. The ones in the original post are -how can I put this? Rubbish.

Basically, junk them, because you're not going to get very far otherwise, and go for a quality unit. There are lots available, you'll see many on this forum. If you aren't well-versed in speaker design, you would also be well advised to build a proven design for your chosen driver. That way you'll have a much greater chance of success.

What was the reason you chose not to put any stuffing inside your boxes?
How did you build your boxes?

DIYaudio doesn't mean just buying cheap parts, putting them in shoe boxes and hoping it will sound good.

Even if we are going the DIY route, there is a method. There is a learning curve.

As others mentioned, there are plenty of designs already here you could follow.
Since you bought your parts really cheap, I suspect you didn't want to spend that much money, so we will forget the Mark Audio drivers.

Also, forget Aliexpress as your source for drivers. Most of them are like Scott mentioned... rubbish.

This build is an easy one, and many people like the sound that comes out.

You could get the TC9FD-08 driver from Parts-Express at about $12 each, plus shipping.
Peerless by Tymphany TC9FD18-08 3-1/2" Full Range Paper Cone Woofer

Then, have a look at this thread to build a nice sounding speaker easily. The mini-karlsonator, single driver (or dual if you really want some power). This will get your feet wet into the world of real DIY audio.

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's

Good luck!

+1 on what everyone else said.

Two more sources for drivers:

Digikey ships to Portugal. They have much less variety than Parts Express (only some Peerless drivers), but free postage = good, and some of the cheap Peerless drivers have been widely praised.

Visaton may be a 'local' option.

This website
Full & extended-range, Ciare, Monacor, TB Speakers

...measures the cheap 3" Visaton FRS8, and it looks a lot better, for most applications, than some drivers which cost a lot more (e.g. it is a lot smoother than the FOSTEX FE126EN).

Small drivers are limited, so they will sound bad if you use them too loud and too low - the tests in the link show that the two drivers I mention both hit 4% distortion at 200Hz & 96dB.

When you can easily buy drivers like these, which have been extensively tested (by multiple people), and that cost so little, it doesn't make any sense to take a risk on a driver that doesn't have any published specifications.

Last edited:
Gotta love the description on Aliexpress about their products:

About the products details, we carefully tell you: these specifics produced by AliExpress system, some of these aren't fully correct, even it is wrong.

I'll pass, thank you.

About the "leather" surround on their drivers, I got a pair of Aucharm I bought when they first came out, a smaller 3" driver, with that leather/suede looking surround.

That thing was just a rumble of distortion all over the FR. Worst driver I've ever heard. They are still in a box somewhere, but now, I think I will use their magnet for some other DIY project.

Quite. Most things on Alixpress (alas) suck like a starving anteater with a Dyson up its jacksie.

Will just add the picture of the driver that description reminds me of, in case people are too lazy to click the links.

HTB17YdLPFXXXXbKXpXXq6xXFXXXN.jpg

You know, I really think I wouldn't. ;)

No, really, I most certainly would not. Interesting to look around a bit though.
The Fane FR units are all I need, and my Seas FU10RB.

Last edited:
i came to this forum for help.. i built one speaker and i wanted to build something cheap.. i cant order from parts express because i would pay a ton of taxes wich means that im basicaly left with aliexpress and ebay...

i want to thank everyone who tried to help, but if could link me to any 2' drivers you ever heard of, i would apreciate. 3' is way to big for what im looking to build

...measures the cheap 3" Visaton FRS8, and it looks a lot better, for most applications, than some drivers which cost a lot more (e.g. it is a lot smoother than the FOSTEX FE126EN).

Small drivers are limited, so they will sound bad if you use them too loud and too low - the tests in the link show that the two drivers I mention both hit 4% distortion at 200Hz & 96dB.

When you can easily buy drivers like these, which have been extensively tested (by multiple people), and that cost so little, it doesn't make any sense to take a risk on a driver that doesn't have any published specifications.

+1
You should be able to get Visaton from somewhere closer to you than Alixpress stuff. E.g.
Visaton FRS 5 X – Thomann UK

Could you elaborate a bit more on your "backpack speaker" concept and your performance goals?

When you mentioned that 3" is too large (it might not be depending what you answer the above question), the Peerless 2"-2.5" drivers of the series you linked above came to mind. This series seems to be pretty vast, so lots of choice. I never worked with any of them, but some do appear to be good for what you seem to have in mind and you'd be buying from a reputable manufacturer at least. Most of these have a high Fs, which is indicative of the bass performance you're likely to get, but it'll be much better than your current 1.5" driver and probably much better than say a mobile phone speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.